FantasyCon 2017: Peterborough

I think I may have forgotten about this for so long that I won't be able to make it. Been too busy trying to get my arm sorted :(

Eek, it's less than a week away! So...
@chopper @Tirellan @nixie @millymollymo @Stewart Hotston

and anyone else attending/likely to be attending: Saturday Chrons social anyone?

If so, how would early evening (say 7-8ish) suit everyone after - as far as I can tell - most of the panels etc have finished? That'd probably work best for me, but I'm happy to fit in with whatever everyone else wants to do.

I'll be attending with the other half of my writing group and will be at various events during the day, so if anyone happens to see me wandering around do feel free to say hello. My name badge should also have my Chrons username on it, and for those who haven't met me you can see me in my natural habitat here:
Time for another northern chron meet.

My last train back home is about 10pm so anything before then I should be able to get to. What's everyone else think?

I ended up actually attending panels then catching up with old friends before I had to run off to catch the train.
Yeah, I'd been hoping to stay and catch up with everyone, but my week went awry and I was dead on my feet by evening and managed to cadge a lift back with the other half of my writing group (quicker than train). I saw one of your paperbacks in the dealer's room (Jack of Thorns, I think) - it looked lovely:)

I had a really nice time at my first Con - it was a little smaller and a little more chaotic than I guessed, but full of lovely, friendly people with an incredible atmosphere.

I paced myself through the day so I didn't sit through a full panel session but went to some great ones:

1pm - Worldbuilding Panel with Adrian Tchaikovsky, Anne Lyle, Vic James, Kristina Perez, Shona Kinsella, and Peter McLean

3pm - Short Fiction: Markets, Outlets, and Awards. Short fiction isn't my thing, but it was worth attending to hear the legend that is Pat Cadigan - she's brilliant and I really must read one of her books. Absolutely hilarious as well:D The rest of the panel were great too.

5pm Unruly Authors - the perils of being an editor. Chaired by the legend that is Juliet Mushens. Some fascinating horror stories of editor/author relationships, too.

Do they take questions at the end of these things? I kind of wanted to ask Adrian Tchaikovsky if he could please stop writing Fantasy* and do more SF like Children of Time. Perhaps not the best place to suggest that though...:D

@Stewart Hotston - sorry I didn't make it to the bar, I hope you had a good time though.

*I didn't get on with his Shadows of the Apt series and gave up after a few chapters, but did love Children of Time.

Great to catch up with you again Gonk - hope you enjoyed your first con.
A new (and regularly misplaced phone) meant I could not post to Chrons! Peterborough was very different to others, the layout shaped it. On one part the panels were all in once place, easy to find and snug. The other side of that, the main bar was removed so harder to catch people between panels unless you used the bar in the top floors Sellers Room.

Harrogate will be different again.

Amelia - sorry our paths didn't cross everyone had vanished when I hit the bar! Never mind next time!

Great to catch up with you again Gonk - hope you enjoyed your first con.
Aye, you too. Loved it, the folks and atmosphere were great, and some really interesting talks. And, of course, the lovely view of Cambridgeshire's fourth loveliest city*:sneaky:.

Harrogate will be different again
That's what they've decided for next year? oooh:D

was similarly in love with Pat Cadigan. She was so warm and kind as well as hilarious.
Totally! I came away from the whole day with a massive list of authors to check out. I think my kindle might explode!:D
I think there's a LonChron coming up this month(ish): https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/569359/
I probably won't make it to this one, but I am hoping to make a trip down November/December if there's another. (it's pure coincidence Aaronovitch** is in the same city:whistle:)

*not that I'm complaining, mind. It was convenient for me. And the county has loads of lovely cities...erm...
** I saw him you know, all on his lonesome having a quiet moment outside the hotel entrance. I was on the other side of the road.... I played it cool and nodded. True story.
Hardest. Thing. Ever.:D

Ah, never mind. I, too, enjoyed the convention a huge amount and got a commission from someone that I'm terribly excited about for a story I've had in my head for a very long time but haven't ever found a reason (until now) to write it.

I also managed to drink huge amounts over a decent course of time so no headaches and what silliness there was (the sinister room for those who were there) was all well within acceptable limits.

I am conning this weekend - along with Allen Stroud, who ran Fantasycon so I'll be sure to say how much you all loved it - and, for the first time I'm taking my kids along.
They have tickets to the con (Holly is young enough to be free) and are planning a writing workshop, a drawing monsters workshop, a Rick and Morty fan talk, and a kaffekletsche (however it's spelt!) with Peadar O'Guilin. They might come to my panel on monsters vs aliens but not my two on space flight (yawn) and we're looking forward to the disco. :)

The hotel pool and wifi in the bedroom also provide a draw and I suspect I'll barely see them :D