Can't Unsubscribe from E-mail Notifications

1. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

I come hear often enough to not need them. :)

I've tried numerous times, but somehow I still keep receiving e-mail alerts. I unsubscribed a day or two ago and was still receiving e-mails, so checked in my preferences a couple of hours ago - e-mail notifications were checked, so I unchecked it. I'm still receiving e-mails.

It isn't just with SFFChrons that this happens - I don't know how many times I've 'unsubscribed' from some lists.

2. dannymcg

dannymcg Raoul Mitgong won't help

Testing

AlexH likes this.
  3. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner He's a very naughty boy! Staff Member

I'd suggest is to be patient - give it a couple of days to take effect, because chrons emails are throttled to prevent inadvertent spamming.

This means that if a lot of emails are generated (ie, by alerts), then they will have to drip through a bottleneck. I've seen for myself how sometimes this might take a couple of days.

I did have the restriction loosened before, but it's probably back in place after the server move.

AlexH likes this.
  4. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

There have been periods before when I haven't received them for maybe a couple of weeks, then they've started coming again.

5. tinkerdan

tinkerdan candycane shrimp

Are you changing that in your profile or are you setting it in the threads watched area.
    I have mine all set in my profile.
    I think that when you set it in the threads watched it just does those you are watching at the time and each new thread you watch resets to messaging you again.

If you are setting it in profile then it should work, as mine has never emailed me since I've set that.

AlexH likes this.
  6. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

I've tried the unsubscribe from all e-mails link in the e-mail footers a few times. I've also set it in my profile at least twice - most recently before I started this thread. Hopefully the alerts will stop coming today, as it's been a couple of days. If they don't stop, or stop and start again, I'll report back.

7. Brian G Turner

dannymcg likes this.
  8. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

So it seems that in my case at least, neither the unsubscribe from all e-mail link, or the main place for managing alerts in my profile work. I'll have to go into each individual thread to uncheck e-mail notifications (I haven't received e-mails for this thread, for example, but I am for threads I've posted in before this one).

9. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

I can 100% confirm that the unsubscribe option isn't working. It's almost 2 weeks later now, and I'm still receiving e-mail alerts.

And I guess unticking "and receive email notifications" on reply pages wouldn't work anyway unless I actually added a reply to every post I'm subscribed to? I have tried it without replying (a few days ago), and it hasn't worked.

Is it possible for someone to unsubscribe me? I want the alerts when I visit the forum, but not via e-mail.

10. Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

If you click on Unwatch Thread and then click on Watch Thread, the defaults is "without receiving email notifications".

11. dannymcg

dannymcg Raoul Mitgong won't help

Can you not just go to your own email settings and set incoming from chronicles as spam?

12. The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

A problem with setting Chrons as spam, is if he is contacted by PM, he also won't get the email confirming it. Which is fine if he doesn't want to be notified of PMs, but sometimes they can be urgent, so it's not something I'd recommend. (Me, I have the opposite problem -- I don't get email notifications even when I want them.)

dannymcg likes this.
  13. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to mark anything genuine as spam, as if too many people do, it'll start sending the e-mails directly into spam folders of others. And I check my spam folders anyway, so I'd still have to delete them.

14. Jo Zebedee

Jo Zebedee writes books about people.

I wondered about this - and since this seems an isolated problem I can't see it hurting the Chrons?

15. tinkerdan

your preferences settings in your user profile should look like this.
    do they?

upload_2017-8-13_22-2-1.png

16. Brian G Turner

That's much appreciated, Alex.

This all looks like a potential forum software issue, so I've contacted Xenforo to see about addressing this.

AlexH likes this.
  17. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

Yep, all e-mail communications are unticked.

18. Brian G Turner

19. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not. You can see I have emails unticked below, and I can't see the "Actions" and "Managed Watched Threads" options that were mentioned. I've searched the HTML and that text doesn't appear in the code either.

sffchrons-emails.jpg

20. tinkerdan

For me: when you click on--threads you watch--the default shows the ones that have content you haven't read and the option for emails does not appear.
    However when you go to the bottom and click show all threads you watch. The option appears at the top on the right and contains the option to disable emails.

AlexH likes this.