Not sure where this should be placed...

zorcarepublic

Seeker of wisdom
...but I was thinking yesterday. Yes, I know what you're all thinking, and I DO think sometimes...:D

Anyways, I was thinking about religion and spirituality. Not about it specifically, but whether spirituality is a subset of religion or the other way around. What do you think? Is spirituality a religion, or is religion part of spirituality?

well in my experience you don't have to have either to have the other. i know many people who are religious but not spiritual and visa versa.
imho i'd take being spiritual as the preferred option anyday

what do u meen by spirituality?

religion - i just see this as a set of rules to find a 'way of life' - with god as a sort of representation of what humans want to be, but cant.

Spirituality is simply the manner some people have of being 'spiritual' More concerned with matters that are to do with the soul or spiril, personal development and growth, and emotional healing.

It isn't necessarily a religious thing, in fact it more often isn't.

hmm - I would lean towards the idea that religion and spirituality are two seperate aspects of a need to believe in something.
In religion this takes an organised form or coda mostly and with spirituality it doesn't. It mainly focused on a persons environment on or on 'inner' development.

However, that's just my interpretation. I'm neither spiritual or religious so I'm not sure how valid my opinion on this is topic.. :)

Talking about spirit, pass the bottle over here, please ?

Now, to answer the question, you can have spiruality without organized religion, but without spirituality, religion is just an empty shell to feel superior other fellow humans or to gain power other them.

*hands Leto a nice bottle of wine*

I dunno. I'm perfectly capable of feeling superior to others without the need for religion or spirituality... :)

*sips her glass*
In this case, religion is just a tool. Or maybe you're superior to most...

oi, hand over!
note, i did say that i believe religion can exist without spirituality, and yes leto, it then becomes a hollow shell. but what the heck. many people seem content with it.

reminds me of Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.. :)
(I love the idea that a God can lose all power as the forms of religion eradicate belief in him.. :D )