The Future of Missy/The Master

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
SPOILERS on the fate of Missy/The Master

The Master has been an integral part of Doctor Who since the early 70's right up to his/her latest incarnation, The Mistress.

In some ways I'm sorry that Missy was The Master, not for any of the gender swapping reasons, but simply because she was such a great character that it seems a shame to have he being aone of a long line of versions than someone in her own right.

Of course much is now irrelevant as the character, both male and female are dead, killed by one another.

In some ways this is rather fitting, a good way of wrapping up a character, but it also removes him/her from the future of Doctor Who - unless, not for the first time, he/she is brought back without any explanation.

So could the character return.

Well with a little wibbly wobbly or course she/he could. There is nothing to stop the Doctor meeting The Master or Missy prior to the events at the end of the last season.

But could it be that Missy is not dead and we have been given the clue to her survival.

When the Master announced that his TARDIS was disabled, Missy said she remembered being told about the damaged dematerialisation circuit and as such carried a spare one with her at all times.

So there is nothing to stop her remembering that she was shot by her male self with something that would stop the regeneration process and have a counter measure in place...

No matter what, I'd like to see a bit more of Missy before she changes...

Yeah, that's basically what I thought. If she could remember a scary woman slamming him against a wall and telling him to always carry that, then I think he could darn well remember that he shot herself in the back.

I think the Master will be back and I don't think there'll be a great deal of fuss because that's what things do in Doctor Who.

I mean, I may well have missed something because I kinda phased out of Tennant's episodes but did we get an explanation of how John-I'm refusing-to-regenerate-because-f-you-Simm came back?

I loved this form of the Master and I'm glad that we had it because Michelle Gomez was a delight and played it beautifully. If someone gave me the choice of being a new character or joining the legendary line of Master actors, you know, the famous antithesis of The Doctor, I'd bite their arm off to do the latter. Michelle Gomez's take will now join Doctor Who history.

But basically, as Perp says, with a little bit of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey, anything is possible.
How come either the Doctor or Bill are going to survive to be on at Christmas?

We never knew how the master in the film, who was said to be N° 14 and therefore impossible, survived except that he took over the body of the ambulance bloke managed to carry on after that. (unless he was an earlier regeneration and all bets are off.)
But in our (at least my) timeline, the next we saw there was an amnesiac Derek Jacobi at the end of the universe who regenerated as John Simms, who then becomes Missy. (Although she never admitted that absolutely)
I would suggest that Missy gets filled with energy by a stray Cyberman blast as she's about to die, which allows her to regenerate as Derek Jacobi, memory loss and all, she/he does an emergency temporal shift, à la dalek, to the end of the universe, and they go into a sort of Groundhog Day until she/he eventually breaks out of the loop as Jar Jar Binks for a crossover breakout series. Until.........

Mind you, I have to agree with Hoopy. Michel Gomez was just brilliant.

We never knew how the master in the film, who was said to be N° 14 and therefore impossible, survived except that he took over the body of the ambulance bloke managed to carry on after that. (unless he was an earlier regeneration and all bets are off.)
But in our (at least my) timeline, the next we saw there was an amnesiac Derek Jacobi at the end of the universe who regenerated as John Simms, who then becomes Missy. (Although she never admitted that absolutely)

Perhaps. The Master burned all his regenerations up, becoming the burned out thing in The Deadly Assassin - perhaps just too darn stubborn to die.

In The Keeper of Traken The burned out Master used the power of the Source to steal/merge/possess the body of Tremus, becoming the Anthony Ainley version of the character. I'm sure it could be argued that from that point he was not actually a Time Lord in the technical sense of the word as he was an amalgamation of two races.

He seemed to be Time Lord enough that in return for his help during the Five Doctors the Time Lords offered him a new regeneration set. Whether he actually received these is open to debate, but as much as we did not see him get them we did not see him not get them either.

So there is more than a chance that he had a number of regenerations left by the time of the movie, Eric Roberts. Of course that particular regeneration was not straight forward - being exterminated by the Daleks, reduced to ash, turning into a watery snake thing and possessing someone else is not 'normal'

But he did get a new set, so there could be something there

Back