Any other words for Movie Franchises?

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
In the next few months I'm thinking of changing my website name. Right now it has my name johnjfalco.com. I am planning on keeping that personally, but I was wondering if there were any other words to describe movie franchises, spinoffs, or cinematic universes. I haven't seen much synonyms in the industry as the words are pretty much just interchangeable but it gets repetitive. The domains available with those words aren't that good either. So I'd like something catchy and professional sounding. I'm ramping up content creation, and I want the site to be able to supplement my income within the next 2-5 years.

Any ideas appreciated.

Is your website just about franchises and cinematic universes then? I ask because if it's broader - about cinema/TV in general - then that might give you more scope for a site name; whereas if you call it CinemaFranchiseSomething.com and you start posting about standlone movies, well, you're kind of going off-topic and setting up visitors for a surprise.

If you're really wedded to the idea of synonyms though... The closest I can think of would be words like Chronicle or Saga to describe a long story/series. Not strictly synonyms, but kinda close enough for your purposes maybe?

If you do want to go broader though, I think you might find it easier to hit on something that doesn't already exist. If you're doing Hollywood commentary you could call it Talking Wood.:whistle:

Is your website just about franchises and cinematic universes then? I ask because if it's broader - about cinema/TV in general - then that might give you more scope for a site name; whereas if you call it CinemaFranchiseSomething.com and you start posting about standlone movies, well, you're kind of going off-topic and setting up visitors for a surprise.

If you're really wedded to the idea of synonyms though... The closest I can think of would be words like Chronicle or Saga to describe a long story/series. Not strictly synonyms, but kinda close enough for your purposes maybe?

If you do want to go broader though, I think you might find it easier to hit on something that doesn't already exist. If you're doing Hollywood commentary you could call it Talking Wood.:whistle:

No, it generally focuses on TV news (cancellations and renewals) and move franchises as well as TV crossovers and spinoffs. So while I sometimes talk about a TV show or something I am enjoying, its mainly about shared universes and franchises. That's the niche and I've had a pretty successful year with it so I am hoping to take things up a notch and make some money on it next year. That's why I am refocusing on those topics. Hollywood is too broad. You need a niche!

Just about everything is taken.

Maybe
Random Holistic TV
or
Random Holistic Media

I know what you mean. I searched Godaddy with basic ideas, but not much is left for under $5000. So I am now left to come up with something more original and catchy.

I hate to give this thought freedom, but... There is a trend over the apst ten years or so - esp in e-commerce - to use stupid names that have no bearing whatsoever to the service or product.

Shpock (Currently my most hated example)
Moonpig
Boomf
Amazon (unless you factor in the deforestation of South America for paper)
and, if truth be told, I never got the 'bay' in e-Bay.
I see some real stinkers on the tube hoardings, day to day, too.

pH

So I have discovered in my research that franchises used to be a joke in Hollywood and that they were called Vanity Shingles. Because it was just seen as a way for actors to get big paychecks to fund their lifestyle. (probably still are to the far left Shakespeareans) Probably where the name for the site Vanity Fair came from. So I was thinking something along the lines of The Shingles Gazette or something similar. What does everyone think of that? The site is available for purchase.

Last edited:
@Phyrebrat
and, if truth be told, I never got the 'bay' in e-Bay.

pH
Wikipedia said:
Originally, the site belonged to Echo Bay Technology Group, Omidyar's consulting firm. Omidyar had tried to register the domain name echobay.com, but found it already taken by the Echo Bay Mines, a gold mining company,[13] so he shortened it to his second choice, eBay.com.[14]

What about a play upon the old film styles? Cinemascope comes to mind. Technicolor. Panorama. You could play around with them.
Something like The Cinemascope-Letterbox. Cinemascraps. Flicks n Facts. Serialized. Serializnation

What about a play upon the old film styles? Cinemascope comes to mind. Technicolor. Panorama. You could play around with them.
Something like The Cinemascope-Letterbox. Cinemascraps. Flicks n Facts. Serialized. Serializnation

Those are some great ideas! Also extendeduniverses.com is available which I will probably grab just to have it if I don't end up using it. I can always direct traffic from there to whatever I do decide if not that.

Vladd67 said:
Originally, the site belonged to Echo Bay Technology Group, Omidyar's consulting firm. Omidyar had tried to register the domain name echobay.com, but found it already taken by the Echo Bay Mines, a gold mining company,[13] so he shortened it to his second choice, eBay.com

Really? I always thought it was because it started in the Bay Area, otherwise known as San Francisco. :oops:

Back