Exomoon discovered?

“It is consistent with the signal that we might expect from a moon, but it might be consistent with other things as well,” says Kipping. The system is almost 4000 light years away and relatively faint, so more observations are needed to verify that the Kepler signal was really a moon and not just a statistical blip.

Hubble is much more powerful than Kepler, so the group has proposed to point the telescope at Kepler-1625 in October, when the planet is expected to transit its star again, to get a clear observation.

“We anticipate that the proposed measurements would be sufficient to confirm the first unambiguous detection of a moon beyond our Solar System,” the team writes in its request for time on the Hubble telescope.

I really do not believe this long distance research is effective. They should wait until we will be able to travel long distances into the galaxy and confirm other planets or moons existance.

I really do not believe this long distance research is effective. They should wait until we will be able to travel long distances into the galaxy and confirm other planets or moons existance.

Before travelling long distances into the galaxy, we would need to have identified targets to travel to. The costs of interstellar travel would be astronomical, and without an idea that there would be something on the other end, I doubt any trips would ever go ahead.

@dekket , the article below was published two days ago on NASA's site.

Through exploration, NASA is broadening horizons, enhancing knowledge, and improving our way of life. Our efforts to explore and discover the universe are increasing in both scope and duration. The Space Launch System (SLS), the most powerful rocket in the world, soon will launch the Orion spacecraft and its crew deeper into space than ever before. Expanding humanity’s presence farther into the solar system also requires advancements in the development of habitats and the systems to keep astronauts safe as they live and work in deep space for long periods of time.

Concept image of Bigelow Aerospace's XBASE docked to the International Space Station.
Credits: Bigelow Aerospace
In August 2016, NASA selected six U.S. companies to help expand knowledge, commercial capabilities and opportunities in space by developing full-sized ground prototypes and concepts for deep space habitats under the second Next Space Technologies for Exploration Partnerships(NextSTEP) Broad Agency Announcement, or NextSTEP-2. NextSTEP establishes unique public-private partnerships that seek to advance commercial development of space while advancing deep space exploration capabilities to support more extensive human space flight missions in the area of space near the moon that will be the proving ground for Mars.

NextSTEP Partners Develop Deep Space Habitat Ground Prototypes

From the article...
"The system is almost 4000 light years away."
From me...
"Even at light speed, I don't have that kind of time!" ;)

Last edited:
I thought the discovery of an exomoon to be somewhere between astonishing and hard-to-believe.

Then, from the article I read this (empasis added),
"A signal has been spotted that might be the first moon detected outside our solar system"
and
"The team says the moon, if it exists, is probably the size of Neptune"

So, I see Hubble showing evidence for it as highly plausible.

I read a lot of astronomy, and coincidentally, I was just reading about exoplanets a few days back, so this subject (or close enough) was on my mind.