Ready Player One (2018)

Lucien21

Trailer for the new Spielberg movie.

Loved the book, hopefully this will do it justice.

Trailer for the new Spielberg movie.

Loved the book, hopefully this will do it justice.

It's quite a good trailer, but I'm a bit surprised it doesn't make any mention of the main plot about the Easter Egg Hunt, I suppose maybe they're saving that detail until a later trailer.

It's quite a good trailer, but I'm a bit surprised it doesn't make any mention of the main plot about the Easter Egg Hunt, I suppose maybe they're saving that detail until a later trailer.

They might not want to give away too much for those who haven't read the book (of which I am one). Fans get butt hurt about trailers that reveal any such information. So this was perfect.

They might not want to give away too much for those who haven't read the book (of which I am one). Fans get butt hurt about trailers that reveal any such information. So this was perfect.

I generally think trailers that don't explain too much of the plot are a good thing. That said, explaining the basic premise that is set up in the first chapter of the book and which will probably be explained in the first ten minutes of the film shouldn't really count as a spoiler.

I generally think trailers that don't explain too much of the plot are a good thing. That said, explaining the basic premise that is set up in the first chapter of the book and which will probably be explained in the first ten minutes of the film shouldn't really count as a spoiler.

I really do wonder how many people go into movies without knowing anything about them anymore. Does anybody actually stand in line wondering what movie to go see and then just pick one at random without knowing the plot???

I really do wonder how many people go into movies without knowing anything about them anymore. Does anybody actually stand in line wondering what movie to go see and then just pick one at random without knowing the plot???
Not in the cinema, but at home I will. Especially if it is scifi. If the acting or dialogue is bad I switch off pretty quickly but I love watching movies without knowing the plot beforehand.

A couple of scenes from the trailer looked pretty accurate to the book, but there's a lot that seems different. It will be an odd film for people that didn't grow up in the 80s, but I'll definitely be giving this one a look.

WOOOOOOO

I just really really hope we get Duel. I want to see those ostriches!

Just saw the movie.

I will go out on a limb here and say that the movie is as good as the book.

However it is mostly the same story told differently

Movies have the problem of cramming a book that takes 5 hours to read into a film usually lasting less than 2.5 hours. Ready Player One did a better job of that than Ender's Game even though it was altered more than Ender's Game. That is strange.

RP1 might be more difficult to take in without having read the book though. It just picks you up and drags you in too fast if you have no idea what to expect.

I haven't read the book but I saw the movie and... I liked it! I didn't find it hard to take in though... but maybe that's because I'm a pop culture geek anyway?

Spielberg is definitely back on form with family-friendly action adventure with READY PLAYER ONE.

I have been reading reviews of RP1. I find this one particularly stupid:

Steven Spielberg’s Oblivious, Chilling Pop-Culture Nostalgia in “Ready Player One” | The New Yorker

There is no mention of Earnest Cline but the critic trashes Steven Spielberg like he wrote the whole thing.

This critic and I must've not watched the same movie...

In any case, I didn't quite like that the protagonist was a White Male Geek (and the female character is actually a better player than him but in the end he was the one with the glory) but it's adapted from a book and not an original screenplay so I let it go.

Also, from what I heard, the book isn't great and Spielberg had to rework the story structure a helluva lot to make it appealing to wider audiences. I certainly liked it - if not for Spielberg's storytelling touch, I doubt I would've.

Also, from what I heard, the book isn't great and Spielberg had to rework the story structure a helluva lot to make it appealing to wider audiences. I certainly liked it - if not for Spielberg's storytelling touch, I doubt I would've.

I heard about the book in 2011 but did not check it out myself because it was about gamers. But then a buzz developed around it so I tried it. I won't go so far as GREAT but I think it is very good. Consequently I tried Armada and never finished it. Armada is what I had expected Ready Player One to be.

I am not a movie buff and certainly not a Spielberg fan, so I would not try to guess how much of the change from the book to the movie was Spielberg or Cline or the other guy involved in the screenwriting. But the book could not fit in 2 1/2 hours and most moviegoers are not novel readers.

Did you notice that the Iron Giant shot a beam from his eyes like Gort in The Day the Earth Stood Still? The Iron Giant did not do that in the animated movie.

The book shows more about the real world than the movie. Diato and Shoto were in Japan, Samantha was in Seattle, Wade moved from Oklahoma to Ohio after his aunt was killed.

This covers the comparison much better:

Ready Player One: Book vs. Movie

I finally saw this movie, and really enjoyed it. The basic outline was the same as the book, but the story played out was completely different. Fortunately, this had the effect of maintaining my interest since I never knew what would happen next.

One thing I wish had been emphasized more was the significance of Aech's hidden identity. There are some rather deep cultural implications with this character that the movie glossed over too quickly. Daito and Shoto didn't have to be such minor characters, they could have been expanded a bit as well. Each of them, along with Wade, were much more reclusive in the book. The movie skims over the "darker" side of gaming personality.

I did like the expanded role of the Sixers. They can be seen as real people with job security, not just sellouts working for the evil corporation.

Back