Dust Publishing submission call

Nick B

author Nick Bailey, formerly Quellist.
Darren and I are starting a new venture - Dust Publishing, a small indie press that will be publishing sff anthologies (maybe branching out a little later, into other genres and maybe novels). At the moment we plan a modest one or two a year. As this is alongside writing, we don't plan a massive business.

So, this is the first submission call for Dust Publishing. The first anthology is pure scifi, the full brief will be mailed out on monday the 24th July for all who are interested. The deadline for open submissions will be the 30th of September. Invitees get longer as we will need time to read all the open subs and make a decision on which to take. Remuneration details will be outlined in the full brief.

Basic summary - 5k to 10k words
All the stories will take place on a huge city built on an asteroid, think Manhattan island in space... Very open world, but a full brief will be mailed to interested parties. We are looking for dynamic and varied stories, the dark and grim, alongside bright and hopeful, crime, disaster, business, hard scifi, soft, whatever takes your fancy, to flesh out a living city in space!

We have some very good authors already in the line-up so you will be in very good company.
The line-up currently includes Nathan Hystad, Jo Zebedee, E.M Swift-Hook, Sam Primeau, Jane Jago, Scott Moon, Thadeus White, Juliana Spink-Mills and Chris Guillory, with a probably from Robert M Cambell and interest from Ralph Kern (though Ralph is extremely busy, so probably won't make this one...)

Sam Primeau will be editing and Jamie Glover will be doing the artwork.

We will be looking to take between 1 and 3 entries as well as the above list.

PM me or post here if you are interested.

I'm interested... but that's quite a line-up already. I'm pretty sure I couldn't compete. But good luck! I look forward to seeing your product! :)

Looking forward to this. Probably my first sci-fi since Dead Weight (in the first Explorations anthology). Hope it sells obscenely large numbers :)

You don't know until you try, Cathbad (to paraphrase the Sand Witch).

Come now, Cathbad... You arn't exactly an inexperienced writer, don't go all coy on us...

Future antho's will include fantasy, sci-fantasy, possibly steampunk and more.

I'm interested... but that's quite a line-up already. I'm pretty sure I couldn't compete. But good luck! I look forward to seeing your product! :)

You know it's not us you have to compete with, right? :p

Nick B said:
possibly steampunk

I've always wanted to write possibly steampunk. I may choose possibly steampunk as the genre, should I happen to win a 75 again. Because if I chose possibly Tudorpunk, people would chase me with sharp sticks.

Full brief for all contributors and subs will go out tomorrow evening. Get your email address to me if you'd like to submit a story.

The brief is open enough that if you don't get into the anthology you'd be able to sub it elsewhere with minimal tweaks.

We'll leave submission open until the deadline, in case of late victi... I mean late requests, but the sooner you get your email to me, the longer you've got to write an awesome story.