Bright (2017) [Will Smith | Netflix]

A very interesting concept when we see Hollywood repeating itself over and over its nice to see some big names branching out. I really hope it does well as a new medium for allowing big blockbuster cinema style creations without the typical Hollywood machine could be a huge boost for creativity and variety.

The concept also looks really really neat and its nice to see it taken toward an adult focused film instead of one aimed at the teenage market (and thus having the inevitable teen romance elements thrown in).

Will we see a Bright tv series as with Alien Nation I wonder?

Will Smith alone will likely make up a huge number of subscribers joining to see the film.

Bright would make fantastic material (even just as a concept) for a TV series; that said I don't think Will Smith has done a TV series for a very long time. Unless he wants to do it chances are his fees are just going to be too high for most TV series to viable afford. That said it might set the groundwork for a followup series. Who knows its too early to tell as all we have right now is a trailer.

Well I was thinking, as with Alien Nation, different actors taking the lead in a TV series.

Will Smith alone will likely make up a huge number of subscribers joining to see the film.

Bright would make fantastic material (even just as a concept) for a TV series; that said I don't think Will Smith has done a TV series for a very long time. Unless he wants to do it chances are his fees are just going to be too high for most TV series to viable afford. That said it might set the groundwork for a followup series. Who knows its too early to tell as all we have right now is a trailer.

I do see a franchise potential and probably not with Will, although in the Comic Con panel he did say that he liked the flexibility Netflix afforded to him. If Bright becomes it's own Universe Will could still be in the movies with a spinoff TV series with other actors. Will Smith could jump into the TV show if need be. Like what Bradley Cooper did for the limitless TV show.

This movie reportedly had a budget of $100 million

Orc Rules!!!

Absolutely fantastic movie. I've secretly wished to see a Shadowrun film since I bought first edition rulebook and fell in love with their world. If you a fan of the world, where the man meets the magic this is it. You cannot get a better than this one. But be warned because this isn't Harry Potter, Raistlin or Gandalf kind of stuff, the spells they put out are world shattering. Or disintegrating to say the least.

I think Netflix did a bold movie with a Bright and it paid, because this film doesn't lose to any films Will Smith has put his name on. I wish they would have shown this before Dr Strange, because that film could have learned something from this one. I hope there's more stories set in this world and Netflix won't be shy on producing them, even if Mr Smith chooses to remain at the background.

Hail to Rampart!

I really liked it - however I did feel it was a bit of a mess. I thought that the 'world' was an interesting one, indeed one I'd like to see a LOT more of (both prequel and sequel)

This film actually looks like alot of fun ! :cool:

I thought it was alright, but full of missed opportunities. Critics have trashed it, and they are not wrong if you start delving into the storytelling specifics. For the average viewer it's entertaining enough though.

Yeah, I'm with Ihe on this one. It's got enough going for it to watch but could have been a lot more.

I just watched this and immediately wanted to tell you about it. I love it! I hadn't seen this thread!
After putting out dud after dud movies, Netflix might actually have a blockbuster on their hands!
Yes, I take back everything I ever said about Netflix movies. This was superb.

This is a Dirty Harry Harry Potter! with a bit of Alien Nation and Men in Black humour thrown in. Elves with automatic weapons, Magic Federal Agents and Orc Mafia! There's a magic wand that really is as powerful as a magic wand ought to be. There are car chases, shoot outs and corrupt cops, mixed with all the mysticism you could want.

Orc Rules!!! Absolutely fantastic movie. I've secretly wished to see a Shadowrun film since I bought first edition rulebook and fell in love with their world.

I didn't realise that it was based upon a game, but it has struck me, considering the popularity of Harry Potter that, besides Buffy and a few other TV series about witches, there hasn't been anything on film, set in a present day world where magic was real, made for adults. I read The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump by Harry Turtledove and that was written in 1993. I love the Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch and then there is Harry Dresden by Jim Butcher. These are all very popular, so I don't know why it took so long for this to come out.

I've just read the Will Smith/ Comic Con article and I'd agree that this could be a cinema movie, but I agree, at the cinema it would probably have Orc and Elf nudity. It is funny though, the difference between USA culture and European culture. I thought it was quite violent with throats being slit and people being machine gunned down. That violence would give it a higher rating in the UK. While in the UK, some Elvish sex would probably pass the censor much more easily.

It is also odd how worried the people questioning are about this being the beginning of the end of cinema, which is the subject of a thread here started by @BAYLOR A Growing indifference to Cinema Going

However, I also think, despite the action and stunts, it is an intelligent film with a clever story-line.