The Final Day by William R. Forstchen

The Great Snook

This is the 3rd and I believe the final book in a series written by this author. The first book to this day still horrifies me. In the first book "One Second After" the author describes a small mountain area in the Carolinas after our terrorist enemies set off a couple of nukes in high atmosphere and the EMPs blow out everything in the entire country. Imagine a world with no power, no food delivery, no medicine, no communications, etc. etc. I think I would eat a bullet (assuming I could find one) as I wouldn't survive it.

Well the first book is about the first year of this world. The second and third book take place when the survivors are starting to make something of themselves and trying to restore civilization when all of a sudden the government (or people claiming to be) show up to screw everything up and make all of their horrible lives even worse.

I will be honest the second and third books while good are no where near as good as the first one. The second two are a little bit preachy and if you are liberal you will probably have a frowny face on during some of the books.

I believe some people consider this guy the patron saint of doomsday preppers and I can see why. I read two and three as I don't like to leave things hanging. I don't regret it, but if you don't like them I can understand why. However, I think the first one should almost be mandatory reading.