Stunning new video of Pluto's surface

NASA have used their data to provide a CGI fly-by of Pluto up close:

I think the New Horizons initiative is one of the most exciting space developments I have seen yet. Did you know they are going out farther to the next body in the Kuiper Belt? Basically to take pictures of that body which I believe is the farthest dwarf planet we will have taken a picture of. I followed the mission very closely and was very happy that they succeeded even though it was touch and go for a minute there. I was happy they didn't end up missing Pluto! And now at least we know it's not pure white or light blue like what most books I read growing up guessed.

Agreed! We might bemoan the lack of manned space exploration but the unmanned stuff being done now is quite extraordinary. New Horizons is still working fine and its next landfall is only 18months away. The Rosetta rendezvous with a comet was an exceptional piece of navigation even if they were unlucky with the lander. Mars Curiosity is another incredible achievement. The list just goes on.

Agreed! We might bemoan the lack of manned space exploration but the unmanned stuff being done now is quite extraordinary. New Horizons is still working fine and its next landfall is only 18months away. The Rosetta rendezvous with a comet was an exceptional piece of navigation even if they were unlucky with the lander. Mars Curiosity is another incredible achievement. The list just goes on.

Manned flight is expensive and dangerous at this point and the country has no will to do it again. I think we get just as much information from rovers and drones without the added risk. Well, I mean if the rover malfunctions there's like $20 Million on the line, but at least no lives. It's very likely we won't be exploring space ourselves, (outside the solar system) and that these missions are the future of space travel.

Oh yes I'm fully aware of all the reasons and fully endorse them; it's just, as an SF reader, it's not nearly as romantic... :oops: