The 13th Doctor Reveal Thread

I agree with Dave, I thought it would be a storm in a teacup for a few days, disappear then resurface before the Christmas episode. Don't people have better things too discuss?

My prediction, she will be the most popular Dr since Tom Baker, the story lines will improve and everyone will wonder why there was so much fuss.

I remember watching some Western, made in the fifties I would imagine from hairstyles etc of the cast.
The 'comedy' part of the plot was one of the protagonists was a man but also a nurse!

Don't people have better things too discuss?

My impression is that we don't have much sci-fi that's current at present to talk about. The only other big fantasy/scifi is Song of Ice and Fire. Otherwise there isn't that much out there at present; so its no surprise that Dr. Who is getting so much attention. Plus its reboot has netted a huge casual/not geek fanbase which means way more people to talk about and keep things going.

For most people this is also a pretty big change. It's up there with if they decided that the Tardis was going to change shape to reflect a more modern era (A red phone booth with the windows blacked out with adverts of various kinds)

More seriously, I still think that William Hartnell to Patrick Troughton was the biggest change in age and character and totally unexpected.

Yes but that was some decades ago. That was before my time, but I have read that there was an equal amount of furor back then. But of course Troughton made the role his own, and he won fans over. Thus regeneration is normalised, and the argument had already been won by the time Pertwee, Baker et al came around. If Jodie Whittaker can do the same, then the second female Doctor will be much more accepted.

I hope.

For most people this is also a pretty big change. It's up there with if they decided that the Tardis was going to change shape to reflect a more modern era (A red phone booth with the windows blacked out with adverts of various kinds)

Fact is, if they fixed the TARDIS, it would be able to change forms! (Then again, it would remove the show's main icon and longest standing joke.)

Fact is, if they fixed the TARDIS, it would be able to change forms! (Then again, it would remove the show's main icon and longest standing joke.)
I think when Peter Davidson was The Doctor the Chameleon circuit was briefly fixed but for some reason, negative fan reaction perhaps, it broke again.

just to add my 2c to the matter, with the gender fluidity shown already in the time lords, i really don't see a problem with a female doctor. "male" time lords can regenerate as "female", end of. you can argue about the beeb's reasons for making the change, but there doesn't need to be any reason for it within the world of the doctor.

let's hope for some good writing as well.

I think when Peter Davidson was The Doctor the Chameleon circuit was briefly fixed but for some reason, negative fan reaction perhaps, it broke again.

That was a Colin Baker episode if memory serves, and he didn't properly fix it - its forms were still wildly inappropriate. I'm not sure if it was negative fan reaction, or just the BBC didn't want to keep finding new props for what was essentially a visual gag.

That was a Colin Baker episode if memory serves, and he didn't properly fix it - its forms were still wildly inappropriate. I'm not sure if it was negative fan reaction, or just the BBC didn't want to keep finding new props for what was essentially a visual gag.
I seem to remember it being something else in the scrapyard in "Remembrance of the Daleks" but don't quote me. Edit: No, not sure why I thought that. :(

The Master's TARDIS was often different things. Edit: see here Other TARDISes

I suspect that the real reason is that because it hasn't changed it has become something of a Dr. Who symbol and trade mark. The BBC make a huge amount of money internationally from the licensed merchandise of toys and such. You aren't likely to throw away that kind of money. It would be like Jedi no longer using light-sabres or a Star Trek Federation ship without two nacelles.

Last edited:
Gallery-Matt-Smith--Matt--003.jpg

I seem to remember it being something else in the scrapyard in "Remembrance of the Daleks" but don't quote me. Edit: No, not sure why I thought that. :(

The Master's TARDIS was often different things. Edit: see here Other TARDISes

I suspect that the real reason is that because it hasn't changed it has become something of a Dr. Who symbol and trade mark. The BBC make a huge amount of money internationally from the licensed merchandise of toys and such. You aren't likely to throw away that kind of money. It would be like Jedi no longer using light-sabres or a Star Trek Federation ship without two nacelles.
Chameleon circuit