Jodi Taylor - St Mary's Chronicles

1. Jo Zebedee

Jo Zebedee writes books about people.

Anyone else reading these? I'm on book 5 currently with 6 ready to go and the last two on order.

Basically they're like a time travelling St Trinian's. Lots of fun with an engaging central character and attractive love interest. Characterisation has improved as the series went on and I'm looking forwards to going back and re reading them :)

2. Montero

Montero Senior Member

Read them. Enjoyed them. Love the Uni department feel and the kind of almost insanity you get when a bunch of intelligent people with a lot of curiosity and no care for appearance try to solve a problem by experimentation. Cue stuffed animals sailing past an upper floor window (later in series) - way to interrupt a serious discussion. "Did a stuffed poodle just fly past the window?"
    Historical sections have a good depth of detail and they really care about accuracy in the costume department.

Jo Zebedee likes this.
  3. Jo Zebedee

Ha! Still to see the stuffed animal - I'll look forward to that! My husband spent a week of me asking if he'd got to the car in the lake scene yet....

But yeah I've learned a lot about history through it - and I'm no dunce anyhow - and liked that. (I also need a rec thread from you since we often seem to dig the same stuff.)

Montero likes this.
  4. hitmouse

hitmouse Well-Known Member

Is this anything like To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis?

5. Montero

Montero Senior Member

@ Titmouse Is that the first story that precedes Blackout and All Clear? Read the latter two but not To Say etc
    If yes, then in principle yes - as in department studying history up close and personal by time machine and an individual can't return to the same time for a second visit.
    Tone is different. Funnier, more anarchic, much more varied periods of history. In fact, so far they've NOT done WW2. Off the top of my head, there've been dinosaurs, Ancient Greek battles, court of Mary Queen of Scots, London frost fair, St Paul's Cathedral on fire, King John and more I've probably forgotten.

@Jo - well - um. Same sort of tone in its way (without time travel) would be Tanya Huff's Keeper series and the Enchantment Emporium series. (I'd recommend Vorkosigan but.....:D)

Jo Zebedee likes this.
  6. TitaniumTi

TitaniumTi Well-Known Member

To Say Nothing Of the Dog was the first book by Connie Willis that I read, and is still my favourite. I found it much more light-hearted and less flabby than Blackout or All Clear.

7. Montero

Montero Senior Member

@Titmouse - ah right - I must admit that while I admired the historic atmosphere in the latter two, and wanted to know what happened to the people I thought both should have shorter. There was an awful lot of to-ing and fro-ing at times.

St Mary's really gets on it with the story.

8. Jo Zebedee

Hell, she makes pacy me feel like a laconic storyteller.... :D

Montero likes this.
  9. Gonk the Insane

Gonk the Insane A.J. Grimmelhaus

This has been on my reading list for, well, some time. I finally started reading it yesterday evening and finished it this afternoon. It was great fun, a really, really good read, and I'm sure it won't be long till I pick up book 2. Possibly this week - it's that good.:)

Montero likes this.
  10. Jo Zebedee

My bookseller husband ordered me book 7 and 8 before we went on hols (he gets discounts. On books. Hooray!) I've told him it he forgets to pick them up tomorrow not to bother coming home :D

Gonk the Insane likes this.
  11. Theophania Elliott

Theophania Elliott Well-Known Member

They're not my sort of thing but my husband is reading his way through them as a 'guilty pleasure'.

Jo Zebedee likes this.
  12. Gonk the Insane

I may have got a little carried away with this series:
    Monday - read Book 2
    Tuesday - Book 3
    Wednesday - Book 4

Damn, they're good!:)

13. Jo Zebedee

I just finished book 7 and it has been the best yet. My husband then had to break it to me the copy of 8 was misprinted and he is waiting for a replacement. I have to wait until Friday. A small whimper might have escaped me....

14. Gonk the Insane

That's very restrained of you. I'm surprised you didn't tell him to type the whole thing out for you, rather than wait for a new one.:)

15. Jo Zebedee

I'm the model of tolerance. And about as patient as Max. It better turn up tomorrow.....

16. Gonk the Insane

Did it arrive, Jo?

I continued my reading binge, so all in all:
    I started with Book 1, and ended up reading the first 5 in 6 days.
    This week I started on volume 6.
    The next day, volume 7.

Then I thought, I'm going to save one of these for the weekend so I can see if reading on a train gives me a headache on my way to Chrons North. Fortunately, at this point I realised there are 9 volumes in the series, so I read volume 8 yesterday, then I looked for volume 9 and found it's a collection of short fiction. Which is fine, except I'm not a massive fan of short fiction.:(

I think the series is great, and after an enforced break from reading for fun (been doing pre-publication work) it was great to just hurl myself into a series I could get totally absorbed in. I don't know if/when another book in the series is due, but I'm hoping it will be soon...

Jo Zebedee likes this.
  17. Jo Zebedee

I did read it and am now going back to get all the nuances I missed speeding through the first time. I also have the short stories on order - also caught out - but as I was planning to buy them individually on kindle, wanting to catch the side stories in them, I'm happy enough to have done so.

And, yes - roll on book 10! I'm following her on Amazon to be sure to get notification :)

18. Jo Zebedee

@Gonk the Insane - I got the short stories. I've howled with laughter a few times. I'd recommend them :)

19. Gonk the Insane

Thanks, Jo, I might well give them a look as I haven't read anything involving disaster-prone historians this week.