WHOA. WHOA! Be Careful how you word things!

Cathbad

Level 30 Geek Master
Over the last few days, I've been noticing these promotions from small presses and self-published authors. I'm always looking for ways to promote - with a budget of 0 dollars.

Two different promotions were offering free money. Perhaps more were, but these two caught my eye, for the way they were worded:

BUY [THIS BOOK] AND WIN $100!
I know what they meant, but if a group of people got together, these people could be putting out a small fortune!

The only qualification to get the $100 is, it seems, to purchase the book! What will these people do, when someone says "Okay, I bough the book; now send my $100 to..."

Yeah; most people wouldn't do this. They'll understand the meaning. But it would only take one, threatening to sue, to ruin an otherwise successful promotion.

BUY [THIS BOOK] AND WIN A CHANCE AT $100!
Would be a lot safer!

Just my thoughts. :)

Sounds like they don't have a top-notch legal team looking at their stuff! Probably cheaper to hire some, than to have to give away $100 (and it could easily come down to that, if someone savvy enough pushed it).

It's generally illegal, at least in the US, to require a purchase in order to be entered in a sweepstakes. That's why you'll always see in the fine print on the cereal box, or whatever, "No purchase necessary" and instructions on sending a 3x5 card to this address with your information to be entered in the drawing.

It's generally illegal, at least in the US, to require a purchase in order to be entered in a sweepstakes. That's why you'll always see in the fine print on the cereal box, or whatever, "No purchase necessary" and instructions on sending a 3x5 card to this address with your information to be entered in the drawing.

Yeah, I thought about that too, and wondered how they were dealing with that. Even in league bowling, when someone won the "pool", they were required to knock down "at least one pin" to collect the money - the Lanes required that of us.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Charming Serpent George R R Martin 12
C Earth Final Conflict 3