Discussion Thread -- July 2017 75-word Writing Challenge

I'll start by thanking Hugh, johnnyjet, Cat's Cradle, nixie, Ihe, farntfar and Shyrka for the mentions and listing. A massive thanks to Dave Barsby for the vote. It feels amazing to recieve a vote when there were so many astounding stories this month, and on that note, my shortlist:

Joshua Jones - Insurrection

Holland - Buried Alive

Titanuim TI -In the shadow of immortality

HazelRah - Never A Toy

After much umming and ahhing, I voted for The Judge - The Rag Doll's Story

A very good month, this, though as ever one or two stories I didn't understand, and a couple which would definitely have made my shortlist but for the fact to my mind they didn't hit the genre.

My shortlist:

Cat's Cradle -- Gewgaw
chrispenycate -- Gratitude for new toy
Dan Jones -- Tin Man
HazelRah -- Never A Toy
HoopyFrood -- Jack In His Box
Joshua Jones -- Insurrection
Mr Orange -- Just a Bunny
Phyrebrat -- Fall Before Pride
Shyrka -- Old Soldiers
Teresa -- NOT THE PRETTIEST DOLL IN THE SHOP
And after a good bit of weighing up of merits and trying to find faults to help me winnow the list down, I finally plumped for Hoopy's menacing Jack.

Usually when I do my thanks I have a bit of fun, bringing in words or ideas from my entry, but it doesn't feel appropriate for this one, so just simple but sincerely meant thanks for the mentions/shortlistings johnnyjet, Titanium, Alex, Parson, LittleStar, CC, Vaz, nixie, Suzanne, Ihe, TDZ, Dan, farntfar and Shyrka (I think that's all, apologies if I've missed anyone -- I don't think I've had so many mentions before!) and big heart-felt thanks for the much-appreciated votes Cathbad, Joshua, Lumens, Peter V (thanks also for the lovely comment), Phyrebrat, Chris p, Mr O and Ashleyne.

Seeing the likes of Teresa and Joshua on that list, I genuinely gave a little "oh!" out loud when I saw my name again! Thanks very much!

Also to echo a couple of people, this does feel like a bumper month of mentions, so thanks for everyone who has put mine on their list.

Thanks to everyone who stuck me on their shortlist - really wasn't expecting any nods this month. And to be inclusive, thanks to everyone else for considering my entry.

It has indeed been a bumper month for stories, though I think rather a few of them are too dark for Pixar to adapt. That was the remit, wasn't it - submit plot ideas for Toy Story 4?

Given the Challenge's subject, this is no time to be playing around. So here (a couple of hours or so earlier than usual) are the results of the Ursa jury:

Honourable Mentions:
  • I Love My Dolly by Ashleyne
  • Gratitude for new toy by chrispenycate
  • All Toys All The Time by johnnyjet
  • In the shadow of immortality by TitaniumTi

Runners Up:
  • Jack In His Box by HoopyFrood
  • Never A Toy by HazelRah
  • Not the Prettiest Doll in the Shop by Teresa Edgerton

Winner:
  • It Came Back in a Box by Tywin

Yikes!!!

With only minutes to spare, I voted for Joshua Jones - "Insurrection"

I haven't been around much, because I'm working over-time (it's ok, I need the money).

I lost my LONG LIST (but I did at least remembered who my vote was going toward).

So many great stories to choose from, written by outstanding authors (and you know who you are - there are 48 of you).

Plus, a huge THANK YOU @Calliopenjo for the vote. I was stunned.

Congratulations Joshua Jones

giphy.gif

And a big WELL DONE to everyone!

Congrats Joshua! Well done, TJ and Teresa, and everyone!

And a big thank you to everyone who voted for, or listed my story. :)

Congrats Joshua. A great win for a great story.

Thanks to everyone who put me on their short lists/mentions. Much appreciated for a month I found tough to get initial ideas.