July 2017 75-word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO JOSHUA JONES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the cat's away, the tribe will play.

Udu refused to touch the straw stuffed kitten. Jarg only made these gruesome toys to bribe children whose mothers he desired.

The Neanderthal hunter would have his way tonight. But not with Udu's mother.

Udu hid deeper in the cave. Saddened as he heard sounds of lust. But cries of pleasure became screams of fear! And the sounds of a mother longtooth that had scented out all that had touched her defiled litter.

Jack In His Box

Another turn of the handle and out popped the little man.

“Why is Jack in a box? None of my other toys are. It's not fair.”

“I don't know, love.”

She wrenched the spring from the bottom of the box.

“There you go, Jack! You're free!”

-----

Something cold on her cheek woke her that night. Jack's leering china face pressed against hers.

“Thanks, little girl. Just for that, I'll come for you last.”

Fall Before Pride

‘Order!’ Judge Teddy shouted. Toytown Court settled.
‘Where did you lose said slipper?’ the train set conductor - acting as Defense - asked Cinderella.
‘I…’
‘Objection! Relevance?’ Mr Potato Head slammed the bench. His nose fell off.
‘Because if she can’t remember, your Honour…’
‘Proceed,’ Ted said.
‘You don’t remember, do you? You were drunk on Lambrini.’
‘No! I—’
‘Plastered, and doing the walk of shame!’

###

‘Thanks Conductor,’ Action Man said, ‘Now I can go to Pride.’

In the shadow of immortality.

Babe’s conception was a miracle, a one-in-a-billion chance. She was the first baby born in 300 years.

Once, it took a village to raise a child. Now, the world is raising Babe. Everyone makes her clothes. I could dress her every minute, and never re-use a garment.

They give her toys. Dolls. Puzzles. She never plays with them. She sits with an ancient book, looking at a picture of children playing.

Gewgaw

Not-Quite-Hummingbird’s rotors whirred
While the robot spoke to the not-quite bird:
“I once was a little boy,
But now I’m mostly robot toy;
I’ve only left blue human eyes,
To bind me to their world of lies.
Peck them out – for blind I’ll be,
The mechanical, not human, me.”

Not-Quite-Hummingbird flew away,
“I’ve no patience for you today.”
She lifted in a joyous whirl,
“My dream’s to be a human girl!”

The Best Toys Always Come With Instructions
The Remarkable landed in the park. The astronauts and their alien friend walked down the ramp to cheers from the gathered citizens. They walked away, sharing tales of space adventures.

A pair of kids watching in the bushes ran up the ramp and into the ship's cargo bay.
"Look at the cool toys!" said Michael. He lifted one and read the label, "Aim towards enemy. One hundred meter minimum distance."
"That's awesome!" said Michonne.

“Forgive Me” was all the Note Read

Her toys lay scattered on the floor.

Every morning I see them and expect to hear her voice and see her running into my arms. They lay exactly how she left them 2 years ago, just in case you bring her back. She'd be 4 now, but we could continue where we left off.

I cannot move on. I cannot forgive.

Why couldn't you have taken her toys?
Or at least put them away.

Toy “Story Time” in Toy Land

All the toys gathered around. Silence filled the room.

Only the tiniest of nesting dolls dared to utter a peep.

“Is it time for Toy Story in Toy Land?”

“Yes, hush, darling,” said Little Bo Peep.

Elmo scratched his chin, delivered a throat-clearing hack and began.

In his booming pipsqueak voice, he said:

“As the dollhouse ship descended, the humans looked up. Beauty stunned them.

“From then on, they never moved. Stiff like wooden dolls.”

Out of the Frying Pan…

“It’s not a toy so put it back.”

“Please let me keep it mother. You sometimes take them, so why can’t I?”

“NOW.”

“But mother…”

A look from her eye enough to convince him, Hraax reluctantly engaged the teleport.

###

“So Mr Simpson, would you care to explain how you came to be in that bank vault?”

Head still reeling, Simpson swallowed. “You really are not going to believe this officer.”

The Zedek Settlement

Mae played quietly with the toy spaceship, a crude recreation of the RK2 interstellar transport. It was Soli, and toys weren't allowed save for those associated with the Crossing.

Yazon glanced at his daughter and wondered if he'd made the right decision to leave earth. Farming was difficult, and the laws of the Zedek Settlement were severe.

"We can fly away Papa," Mae said innocently gesturing with the toy ship. "And we shall," resolved Yazon.

Paradise Loft

I build.

I build skyscrapers, taller than dad. I create bridges to space, further than you can see, even from the roof of the house.

I make cities, graceful civilisations, paradises beyond the clouds. Worlds away, but so close to the heart.

Perfection, just out of reach. I can get there… I can get there.

Destroy, start again. And again. Again.

Years later, so close. How can I become one with the toys?

Become God?

To Infinity and Beyond

In their rush they’d left the TV on showing crowds heaving towards the space-ship. Action Man slumped and watched. He spotted Steven and his parents.

“He’s escaped without us. All those years we helped him, from toddler to young man, and he abandons us.”

“But that asteroid…” stammered Dino.

“No excuse. We’re his toys! He didn’t even think of us.”

Thousands of screams filled the screen as the burning rock neared.

“Ha! That’s karma!”

Transience

I reigned ten thousand year and more, and brought such happiness to all

I birthed cloud-white dragons from the sky, and turned children's sticks into gleaming swords, just to hear laughter ringing free.

But innocence, freedom, is so fleeting.

Soon sticks turned to boards, and boards to electric bricks... And now not a single eye casts up from their screens to smile at the wonders I can still create.

But I will endure.

Plights of the High-Strung Performer

Otto’s head turns sharply. That hurts. Walks to the table, bumping into familiar things. Sits, back uncomfortably straight; spoons soup deep into mouth, gags; spills rest of soup on his head.

The clown’s eyes follow the strings coming out of him, unravelling out the window towards Her. They vibrate to the cadence of heaving laughter.

Puppeteeress had never appreciated his comedic efforts. Now she does. Otto slaps himself. Dances. Cries. The strings shudder in delight.

She nods assent and watches as her uplink conjures 100 fissile streaks across the sky. A continent away her enemy replies. Contact is made, and thunder shakes the floor as the horizon burns. A lone signature remains, burning hard towards her, then imploding.

“8 love,” says a voice behind her eyes.

“My serve.”

Beware the Trending Meme

I thought it was a nice prank. A bit of good fun. Our buddy Andy comes into the room, Jane yells “Andy’s coming,” and we all flop to the ground like the toys in that movie.

Now Andy’s here, and I can’t move. The floor is littered with us.

I can see my arm. It’s made of cloth now. Just beyond, I see Jane is now plastic.

Andy laughs. Beware the powers of Andy.

Johnny Wilson (aged 12) Saves The Planet!

Earth is Snarth's plaything. From orbit he manipulates politics and fuels conspiracy theories to ensure global warming proceeds apace. Soon the planet will be perfect for his kind – hot and carbon dioxide rich.

The internet is Johnny's plaything. From his bedroom he wreaks havoc. Sometimes in places he's never even dreamt of...

Snarth's screen displays “Space Invaders!” and an array of erratically moving, alien heads – not unlike his own.

“We must leave! We are discovered!”

Never A Toy

“Don't touch that, Timmy. It’s not a toy.”

He watched from his cardboard cage, as the child was lead away from arm's reach. Oh how he longed to be in the grubby hands of that little boy. To play the robber in the train heist or the hero that saved the damsel.
But he was never allowed out.
Solitary confinement, he called it.

Decades passed, and owners changed, yet still he remains In Mint Condition.

Justice for Dolly

“Don’t bite your brother, Grendal!” Shouted Merlin, brandishing a headless doll. Puck was cradling his arm, crying.

“But…” began Grendal.

“It’s just a toy!” roared Merlin. A bell tolled. Grendal yelped, a bite appearing on her arm. Puck blinked at his unblemished limb. He grinned and ran away, pursued by Grendal.

Merlin sighed. He shouldn’t use magic in front of them.

A bell tolled. Grendal screamed. Merlin slowly looked down.

The doll was whole again.

Little Toys: Big Consequences

Woody crept across the asteroid habitat pretending he was “Buzz Offworld: Space Marine.

“I’ll get that claim jumper.”

Woody jumped up firing his toy blaster at the viewport.

----------

After watching for weeks, Straanggaarrdz fearfully approached the habitat.

“The adult bipeds always carried weapons.”

She would approach the child.

Sudden movement …. “A weapon! He shooting!”

Panicked, Straanggaarrdz signaled “Attack!

-----

Humanity was wiped off the belt.

Weeks later the marines found a toy gun the only witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back