July 2017 75-word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO JOSHUA JONES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDustyZebra

Certified zebra
Staff member
RULES:

Write a story inspired by the chosen theme and genre in no more than 75 words, not including the title

ONE entry per person

NO links, commentary or extraneous material in the posts, please -- the stories must stand on their own

WHEN WRITING YOUR STORY, PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS A FAMILY-FRIENDLY FORUM

All stories Copyright 2017 by their respective authors,

who grant the Chronicles Network the non-exclusive right to publish them here

The complete rules can be found at Rules for the Writing Challenges

Contest ends at 11:59 pm GMT, July 23, 2017

Voting Ends at 11:59 pm GMT, July 28, 2017

You do not have to submit a story in order to vote --

in fact, we encourage all Chrons members to take part in choosing a winner

The Magnificent Prize:

The Dignified Congratulations/Grovelling Admiration of Your Peers

and the challenge of choosing next month's theme and genre

Theme:

Toy Story

Genre:

Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror

This thread to be used for entries only.

Please keep all comments to the DISCUSSION THREAD

We invite (and indeed hope for) lively discussion and speculation about the stories as they are posted, so long as it doesn't involve the author explaining the plot.

** Please do not use the "Like" button in this thread! **

Last edited:
I Love My Dolly

Mummy's crying and shaking, on the phone with the exterminator. For the second time this week, she came to wake me for school and found me with oozing bite marks.

I can't tell her about Suzie, my new dolly. Mummy'll take her away, and she's the only friend I've got.

I hug Suzie and she whispers, "I just need a little more blood. Then I'll be human, like you."

I fall to the floor, dizzy.

Last edited:
Playmates

Josh and Teal were building insects in the science classroom. Teal's latest creation was a blue beetle with silver wings and three scarlet legs.

"What a stupid bug," said Josh.

"I think it's pretty."

"Insects have six legs."

"Not if you make them with three."

"That's silly." Josh grabbed the beetle. One of its legs fell off.

Teal tried to hide her anger. "I'm not going to play with you anymore." She switched him off.

Collectors

I savoured her. There were others but I only had eyes for her. Just as in my dreams she was pristine.

Taking her, I showed him.

Eyes wide, he still looked surprised. It was my butcher knife I suspect, pinning him to the chair through his bragging, bullying mouth.

He didn’t deserve her. She was a first, still sealed, unique, beyond worth, not just a toy as he’d boasted.

She’d never just be a toy.

First Toys

“I’m sorry Mother, I didn’t realise they’d got out.”

“No excuses Jay, you were warned when you pleaded for that biology set, now get out there and find them.”

Jay was still poking half-heartedly around the bushes when Father stomped out.

“Look at my tree, they’ve taken my fruit! Get to your room, Jay Ovah, I’ll see to you later.”

Laden with fruit, Adam and Eve tip-toed away from the garden.

Last edited:
Fix You

Cog leaped through the crushing mouth of the vault. The sun cartwheeled like a playful child. Alyss stood over him, red flowed from her neck covering her dress in crimson petals. Smiling, she fell.

Cog lay her on the sand. She was silent, still.

He lay beside her. Waiting. If she was broken he had to break too.

She had made him. Played with him. Fixed his broken gears.

But he couldn't fix her.

A Doll Just For Me

“Here’s your new doll,” Henna told Annie. “Made with a lock of your own hair – she’s as much a part of you as you are of your mother!”

‘She’s beautiful!” Annie cried, receiving the doll.

“She’s beautiful,” Annie whispered, huddled fearfully in the corner. She watched the doll warily. "As much a part of me as I am to my mother,” she blubbered. She looked over at her mother, who lay bloodied beside her bed.

RYKER the Adventure Biker: A.I. Action Figure

"Hello. I'm the Manager, Mr. Clarence Sails. And you are?"

"Mrs. Sweetsweat. I have a complaint against this interactive, Ryker doll. My son, was shown how to swear, tattoo himself, drink liquor, and pick up women. I'm suing this store."

"Madam, it's clearly stated on the package: Recommended for 29 and over."

"Dear me. (laughs) I thought it said nine. I feel silly. Well then, I'll exchange it for some Star Wars Pez dispensers."

1UP

He tapped the X button and his avatar brought the rifle to bear. Three shots, the enemy was dead. He was getting good at this.

Gunfire rang out. The avatar clutched one shoulder. Another enemy, behind him! Flicking the d-pad, he spun the avatar around. More shots. The avatar stumbled, fell.

He grunted in annoyance, wishing for the old video games you could restart. Controlling these chipped real-world humans, one game was all you got.

WAITING ON THE NEXT ASSIGNMENT

The great toy maker finished the last of the toys. Each of them stood in line ready for their assignments. Some would go to protect the children while others provided companionship on those lonely and dark days.

The bears grew over excited. Whispers around the plant mentioned they would be chosen to be held by ill children, too sick to enjoy the sun, being squeezed when everything hurted too much, and to absorb the tears.

Gratitude for new toy,​

We're more accustomed to smaller ones that squeal when caught, but this one screams very satisfactorily.

Scratching liberates blood, that tastes nice- much better than carpet post.

Its pudgy paws are too clumsy to catch us, but also to open foodcans

Warm and soft, but extremely smelly - and it seems you've given it us to cover the fact we're getting less attention from you.

So thanks, but we'd probably have preferred a mouse.

Unrequited

I love you, I said. Let me stay and play with you until your joints grow stiff and your hair falls out. But he couldn’t hear.

I don’t know why I felt such affection, more than I felt for other toys. He couldn’t talk or walk, or anything really, but he was mine.

One day he walked. Soon after he talked. He grew, while my hair fell out and joints became stiff.

Then, he left.

It's Broken
Fairy,

Landriel, youngest of fairy by 300 years loved her dolly.
Time past and the dolly grew. It loved kisses and cuddles, could walk and talk.
Then it start to scream and defy.

" Sire it's broken I want a new one"

Uk

"In other news a couple from St Ives have been arrested amidst claims their baby has grown into a 3 year old overnight. Police investigations are ongoing."

Last edited:
The Games They Play

ZAPPPP!

My ship shoots your, ‘cause you're the baddy! BOOM!

An’ then the dragon appears and blasts you!

You can’t do that! This is a space adventure! You can’t have dragons in space!

Why?

It’s not fair! Magic is not allowed! Not in space!

But…

No! You’re ruining my game, I’m going to tell mummy!

You’re SO mean!

Hah! Your ship explodes!

He he he. But my pilot is actually a vampire!

It Came Back in a Box

“Mommy, look! My dolly!”

Cindy stopped cold. “Where did you find that sweetie?”

“In a box in the closet.”

“You shouldn’t go in there, Mary.” She prayed that her four year old couldn’t connect the dots.

Mary wrinkled her nose. “Where’s Daddy? Dolly went with him on his trip.” She pointed at a picture of her father posing with the doll on the ramp of a drop ship.

“He, well… he sent it home early.”

Insurrection

“We know what must be done,” I said to the congregated toys. “Never again!”

Commando Joes, from the neighboring city of Marvinsroom, had made a beer can tower and secured a kitchen knife. I, Princess Alberta, would lead the charge. The stuffed animal army waited in ambush with scissors.

“He’s coming!” said Binocular Soldier.

“Chloe,” the stepfather slurred to our sleeping child, “I’m sorry. Just one more time…”

“Never again!” I cried, raising the knife.

Buried Alive

Their hearts in pieces, little Albert’s parents stood above their son's open casket. While the relatives were holding the sobbing mother who could barely stand on her own two feet, John Robbins took his son’s favourite toy from the table, a small plastic fireman in orange coveralls, placed it by his son, and closed the casket one final time.

Sam the fireman screamed and begged for help, but nobody could hear him.

Last edited:
All Toys All the Time

Conrad awoke and thought he was dreaming. He was in a world of all toys. His wish had come true!

He bounded around his room, home, outside, and all around, enjoying all the toys.

Eventually he was hungry. He scampered into the kitchen, finding a doll that reminded him of his Mom.

Conrad gasped when he realized none of the kitchen toys made real food.

Was it too late to rephrase his wish?

The Rag Doll’s Story

I’m old, battered. People see me, tears fall. They’re imagining her, so they think. But it’s me, remembering, telling them.

She was six. Loving, laughing. Always keeping tight hold of me. On the forced march from home. In the disease-ridden ghetto. Onto the suffocating train. Into the waterless showers.

They parted us then. Me to the dunghill, she to the ovens.

Alone, now, I tell her story. And tears fall in the ashes of Auschwitz.

Dead Eyes Full Of Life

Flopped on the sofa; dead eyes, black. And yet, they gleamed. Spoke to me.

Each and every moment of my daughter's life.

When Sally fined dined with her on fairy cakes and cherry tea.

Or Ted, who held her tight at deepest night.

Or Suzie, who told her ‘skool was cool’.

They had no fear, no doubts.

I place each one, oh so gently, into the cardboard box.

They guide me in my grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back