Han Solo Directors Fired

Sadly it could be a consumption thing. If the public would watch a variety of movies outside of superheroes, those movies would get made. As it is right now, that's the demand so that's the product. You get what you pay for...

I'm excited by any Star Wars movie - totally drank the SW koolaid and proud of it - but I must admit to being unimpressed at the thought of Emilia Clarke being in the HS movie. I hope she proves me wrong-o.

Please no Bora Fett though. I've never got his popularity and now with his story so well explored in Rebels, I'm hopeful we won't see it. Besides, Jango was far better IMO.

Doesn't anyone want a story about how Jar Jar became banished? :devilish:

pH

Disney gotta get back the $5billion they paid for the franchise. Must be almost there episode 7 and Rogue One... but if the product becomes tacky, we'll all stop watching? Or a new generation, who don't have the emotional attachment to the characters won't mind...

That's the thing, does the new generation like the new characters? I still see kids with Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader merchandise, I have not as of yet seen any kid with the new toys. I'm not around kids much, but isn't it telling that when I am, I see the old merchandise more?

Rey Not In Star Wars Monopoly Due to 'Insufficient Interest'

Firstly, I want the story about the two Death Star maintenance men (that one they do in all the other franchises when they run out of other ideas.)

Secondly, off-topic but,
That's a little 'chicken and the egg' isn't it? How can they say there is 'insufficient interest' until they actually make the toy and get feedback that no one wants it. Certainly, the people angrily demanding it are not the kids who will be playing with it, but then you can hardly have a focus group of five-year-old children around a table to discuss marketing either. I have to admit, I'm not a toy manufacturer so I know nothing, but it just seems to me that they are justifying a position that they have already taken.

Firstly, I want the story about the two Death Star maintenance men (that one they do in all the other franchises when they run out of other ideas.)

Secondly, off-topic but,

That's a little 'chicken and the egg' isn't it? How can they say there is 'insufficient interest' until they actually make the toy and get feedback that no one wants it. Certainly, the people angrily demanding it are not the kids who will be playing with it, but then you can hardly have a focus group of five-year-old children around a table to discuss marketing either. I have to admit, I'm not a toy manufacturer so I know nothing, but it just seems to me that they are justifying a position that they have already taken.

They may have used some prediction models along with the sales of other merchandise to justify their position. If Rey wasn't popular why would this new han solo guy be? HINT: I don't think any kid will care about him. The movie doesn't even seem to be marketed towards kids. If Han Solo bombs at the box office, Star Wars will have to take a wildly new direction.

I have a young cousin and he prefers the old movies. I haven't seen him with any new merchandise. Or if it is new, it's based off old characters.

Compare Han Solo as a hero in the 70s with the kind of Superheroes we have today. If he had a jetpack, could squirt webs from his wrists and fly through the air unaided, then I can imagine his toys being very popular, but these days - in terms of merchandising outside of collectors - he's got little appeal outside of his character.

In that regard, I think it's crucial that the script is flawless and his charisma is the focus of him, not, for example how he got the MF, or some tense Sabaac game between him and Lando.

There's fertile ground there, I think, because by Star Wars we see him as a cynical person - what is it that made him cynical and what does he use sarcasm and humour to cover? That's a more compelling story to me. What I don't want to see is him being lovestruck and a bit of a gigolo.

I was 6 when Star Wars came out and for me it was all about R2-D2 and C-3PO, the spaceships and tech. I never got a Ben, Luke, Chewbacca or Han figure because I just wasn't interested in them. Han's merchandise might suffer the same.

Oddly though, I would have bought a Rey figure from TFA based solely on the scene where she is being a supersnark to Finn about passing the tools. That was so memorable and was based on script and timing etc. I hope that kind of feel is in this latest spin off.

pH

Compare Han Solo as a hero in the 70s with the kind of Superheroes we have today. If he had a jetpack, could squirt webs from his wrists and fly through the air unaided, then I can imagine his toys being very popular, but these days - in terms of merchandising outside of collectors - he's got little appeal outside of his character

pH

I think those macho 70s type heroes are outdated, and from the sound of things, I don't think this Han will have that characteristic. You are right, if you are going to be that type of macho hero you need to have something. You need to have some type of fancy tech (even cars or motorcycles) and you have to have a super power. John Wick was pretty special, and Han Solo is no John Wick. Not even Harrison Ford.

I think those macho 70s type heroes are outdated, and from the sound of things, I don't think this Han will have that characteristic. You are right, if you are going to be that type of macho hero you need to have something. You need to have some type of fancy tech (even cars or motorcycles) and you have to have a super power. John Wick was pretty special, and Han Solo is no John Wick. Not even Harrison Ford.

Not so sure about this. It may be that the time of utter dominance of "Super Heroes" is slipping away, and a man who is able to get by with his wits might just be a revelation.

Not so sure about this. It may be that the time of utter dominance of "Super Heroes" is slipping away, and a man who is able to get by with his wits might just be a revelation.

I think that has already happened with John Wick. I don't see Han Solo on the same level. At all.

[thinking aloud]I wonder if they'll be looking to make Han Solo more like Starlord in Guardians of the Galaxy. Perhaps not just the character. After all, both franchises are Disney properties ... [/thinking aloud]

We'll have to see what develops.

You can't get simpler than John Wick. For those that haven't seen it I'll put this in spoilers but, how can you get simpler than
Guy's dog getting killed. Guy goes nuts.
Becomes pulp fiction action hero overnight. I may be biased because John Wick is one of my favorite movies, but as @Brian G Turner alluded to the Starlord route is possible. We shall see. It may just come across as a GOTG rip-off though if too similar to Starlord.

It's been announced that John Powell is going to do the music for the Han Solo film. I really hope that happens, because Powell isn't just a fantastic composer, but also very flexible - you may already be familiar with his tunes from Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon:

Let's hope there are no mishaps as happened with Rogue One, when Michael Giacchino had to come in as a replacement at the last minute and write a complete score in just 3 weeks.

It was an outstanding score given the time frame he had to work with.

It was, and fair play to him for being able to get so much done in so little time - I have and love his Stark Trek: Into Darkness score.

It would be a shame to lose John from the Han Solo film, though, as his music is so striking. I'd be excited to hear what he comes up with. :)

Back