Red Sister

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
Picked up the first book in a new series by Mark Lawrence, I'm looking forward to reading this. Young girls send to a convent trained in the art of killing, hope it's as good as it sounds.

The broken Empire trilogy was good, Red Queen's War a bit so so, I still have the third one of the red queen to read but picked it up today.

Hopefully this one will be as riveting as his first series.

I'm three quarters of the way through this and it is amazing. Young girl given away by her village, sold to the fighting pits, sentenced to death for murder rescued by an abbess to be trained as a nun and a fighter.

I'm three quarters of the way through this and it is amazing. Young girl given away by her village, sold to the fighting pits, sentenced to death for murder rescued by an abbess to be trained as a nun and a fighter.

Thats exactly the synopis that was enough for me to go the local bookshop, order the hardcover version of the book. I dont buy often new books before they come to paperback but i couldnt wait to read this.

I've read the Broken Empire trilogy but not the Red Queen stuff.

I enjoyed Red Sister, and was invested in the ending (I shan't spoil it, but I did like it) but I'm not sure I'd go so far as amazing. A slight problem I had is that I read it very slowly, partly due to intermittent pestilence. However, even with that I think a bit more pace in the middle would have helped.

I did like the characters and world-building, as well as the story. Not as grim as Prince of Thorns but still not for kids. Will probably get the sequel, Grey Sister, but right now the price is stupid (£9.99 for the e-book, barely less than the hardcover and more than the listed, but unreleased, paperback of £8.99). When it's discounted, I'll give it a look.

#rebel

I preordered Grey Sister, got it a month ago when it came out here. Because i liked the girls growing up as the warrior nuns,the holy sister etc. The worldbuilding, the religion, the mythology was different, much more interesting than Prince of Thorns books which i enjoyed only for Jorg.

I really hope Grey Sister is as good as the first book which was very good for a fantasy of this type. As you said it was about kids growing up but it was too mature, dark world,story for it to be a YA Fantasy for kids. Almost a shame the heroine, her friends had to grow up, be adults after the first book.