Science Fiction/Fantasy

Andrew Lambert

I'm quite confused as to the genre my first novel falls into. I've been spending ages now, flicking through the competition, checking out writing styles and story lines. So, where do a book with the following fall?
  1. Definitely, not hard Sci Fi. I understand these books follow certain conventions. My books follow the Star Trek route, though as a chartered engineer, I had tried to use flowery technical terms and a knowledge of fluid dynamics and the like to add realism. I do have an extensive space battle, but not to the extent of having space ships on the cover.
  2. Fantasy? No magic swords or jewels. No fictitious earth species, such as goblins, fairies, ogres, etc. No dragons - talking or not, and definitely no cats!
  3. There's no swearing or sexual content.
  4. Fight scenes are no holds barred, but not gratuitously graphic.
  5. Am I in the Young Adult market - in the large void of SF/F?

It's probably straight -- but not hard -- SF. (It doesn't sound like space opera, but may be so, depending on what else** is in there.)

Why do you think it might be Fantasy if there are no obvious Fantasy elements?

** Wikipedia describes space opera thus:
Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes space warfare, melodramatic adventure, interplanetary battles, as well as chivalric romance, and often risk-taking. Set mainly or entirely in outer space, it usually involves conflict between opponents possessing advanced abilities, futuristic weapons, and other sophisticated technology.

I'd agree with Ursa. Maybe Science Fantasy to those who want to maintain a difference between "likely" science advancement and unlikely. But nothing in your synopsis makes me think of "normal" Fantasy.

Certainly, there are many elements listed under Space Opera, if not most of them. But I do like Science Fantasy.
Thanks, Ursa and Parson for your thoughts.

I would only use science fantasy for the likes of the Barsoom books or, for more modern stuff, the Ketty Jay books. Or some books that really do have futuristic elements mixed with fantasy elements like Vance's Dying Earth books. To be honest what you are describing does not sound like science fantasy to me. Only a real hard SF obsessive would likely apply that tag but then they would apply it to anything that is not absolute hard SF which would put nearly all SF into science fantasy.

Nah - even my Abendau stuff with a good dose of psi powers and soft science are Space Opera rather than space fantasy.so yours doesn't sound at all Space Fantasy.

Re young adult - how old is your protagonist?

Ok, scratch the Space Fantasy. Space opera sounds good.
Jo, three children beginning at 13 and finishing at 23 years old, and a big space dog. Based on Earth, mostly. But, also on four other locations around the galaxy.

The blurb is looking like the following, with the help of the fabulous Crons in Crits.

To escape an apocalyptic game of annihilation played by an ancient and evil race, a princess must flee her home-world and seek shelter on distant Earth.

However, even there the hoped for peaceful existence proves no sanctuary against the shadow of the evil game masters.

Now the unlikeliest of heros must rise to prevent Earth from becoming an impotent pawn in a deadly interstellar game and help stop the princess succumbing to her intended fate.

The blurb is looking like the following, with the help of the fabulous Crons in Crits.

To escape an apocalyptic game of annihilation played by an ancient and evil race, a princess must flee her home-world and seek shelter on distant Earth.

However, even there the hoped for peaceful existence proves no sanctuary against the shadow of the evil game masters.

Now the unlikeliest of heros must rise to prevent Earth from becoming an impotent pawn in a deadly interstellar game and help stop the princess succumbing to her intended fate.
How old is the princess?

I would suspect high end YA. Forget the blurb for now - what is the focus of her character arc?
Initially, the trials and tribulations of a teenager growing into adulthood, here on Earth.
She's training to become one of the leaders of her country but wants teenage friendships, which she gets with two Earth children, having many adventures. As she grows, she continually doubts her ability though and feels she is not worthy of her title. Her life team eventually let her go to university, which she loves. But the 'shadow' has found her friends and she save must them.
Not sure if that counts as a character arc?

Initially, the trials and tribulations of a teenager growing into adulthood, here on Earth.
She's training to become one of the leaders of her country but wants teenage friendships, which she gets with two Earth children, having many adventures. As she grows, she continually doubts her ability though and feels she is not worthy of her title. Her life team eventually let her go to university, which she loves. But the 'shadow' has found her friends and she save must them.
Not sure if that counts as a character arc?
Sounds young adult to me (does she need to end up as 23. Can you truncate that timeline? It would make it easier to sell )

Heroes or heros in your blurb?
I wish I knew dannymcg!!
Heroes is correct, so best use that.

Meantime, I think this thread is best placed over in GWD as we've got discussion not only of genres in the abstract but your novel in particular, plus the blurb now, so I'll move it across.

Sounds young adult to me (does she need to end up as 23. Can you truncate that timeline? It would make it easier to sell )
Not without a complete timeline reconfigure. Anyway, my two daughters wanted to be 23 when they were teenagers ;-)
I think my story will still have a way to go from where it is now (even though I think it is finished), so I'll kindly note you comments, Jo, and see what happens.
Thanks.

Heroes is correct, so best use that.

Meantime, I think this thread is best placed over in GWD as we've got discussion not only of genres in the abstract but your novel in particular, plus the blurb now, so I'll move it across.
Sorry, Judge. Two relocations in one week! I better keep my head down,

Back