Site issues

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
There was another incident this afternoon of the server crashing, taking the forums down. As some of you may have noticed, this has happened a few times recently.

The hosting company is usually quick to address any problems, but is now considering moving everything off the current server and to a new one.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that problems have been noted, and that hopefully any server move will result in as minimal disruption as possible.

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
From my perspective, the site was down for quite a while this morning.

(I haven't noticed it being down this afternoon, but my attention has mostly been elsewhere.)

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
I've had no problems this afternoon, but I couldn't get on this morning at around 10 am for a while.

EDIT: HanaBi's post just reminded me, I've been finding the site very slow today, too. (No idea what pings are, though.)

HanaBi

Is it Safe?
I haven't been on much today, especially earlier this morning. But have noticed a slight slowdown in response times when refreshing this site (ping times were tellingly slow - triple figure stats at times)

Seems okay now though :)

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
Didn't try this afternoon, but it has often been down in the mornings recently. I thought I had just caught it at that backing up time, thought that is usually over after 10 minutes.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Just a heads up for everyone that the hosting company has prioritized moving chrons to a new server tonight.

Now, for most people you shouldn't notice any different - any attempt to access the old server or old IP address should automatically redirect users to the new server and IP.

HOWEVER, I know from past experience that some people with ISP's that don't regularly update their DNS records may find themselves unable to access chrons. In which case, I'll post the new chrons IP address to Facebook and Twitter so anyone in that situation can access chrons by IP address rather than website address if unable to do the latter.

And for reference, these are the Facebook and Twitter accounts to watch for this info, if you think you might be affected:

SFF Chronicles
Brian G Turner (@Brian_G_Turner) | Twitter

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Oops - not moved, yet. They were going to move us to a server in Orlando, but have now suggested moving to a London server tonight so as to avoid any server upgrades in the near future which might result in downtime. I'll keep everyone posted.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Just to confirm, the server move is going ahead tonight. Hopefully everything will run smoothly - and that the new server won't have the problems we've been developing on the current one.

In order to make things easier for the move, I'm going to empty the site search index - which will halve the size of the forum database from around 4.5 GB to 2.2GB. So do be warned that the site search function will no longer function until I've rebuilt it after the server move.