3.03: Fear The Walking Dead - TEOTWAWKI

ctg

weaver of the unseen
H9hnRh3.jpg

Dante and Strand (Photo by Michael Desmond/AMC)

Kill List: Strand, Luciana, Jeremiah, Jake and Troy
Redeemed: Alicia, Nick and Madison
Lost: Daniel, Ofelia and Alex

Still finding their place, Alicia and Nick fall in with new crowds while Madison discovers Otto's past mimics that of her own.

TEOTWAWKI means "The End Of The World As We Know It." It is not a native god.

The development I found most surprising -- Nick and Troy apparently bonding on the boar hunt. I honestly thought Nick had killed Troy with that shot along his head. Troy may now have a bad ear to go along with his bad eye. I suppose the pair have being lifetime misfits in common, but Troy is a racist, psychotic multiple murderer. Memory may fail me, but I don't recall Nick killing any of the living thus far in the series.

Second-most surprising: the return of Daniel. Of course, Strand might be hallucinating ...

Third-most surprising: the straight-laced, Bible-studying youngsters of Broke Jaw Ranch are closet potheads. Geoff, the "talking" walker head in a birdcage, is a great social ice-breaker. I liked the little perfume spritz Geoff was given to make him party-presentable.

Very good episode. Excellent in my books and I like the fact that I don't know everything. What I know is that Fear's team aren't afraid of dipping into the controversial material and bring out things that would get frowned upon among the normal people. Survivalist types are among them and when I have tried to talk about that ideology people have laughed and ridiculed me.

"The end of world will never happen," they've claimed. "You shouldn't believe in that. There is always a way to make things better and avoid the worst."

I bet Jeremiah have heard those same argument time and again. But it didn't stop him from preparing for the worst, whilst wishing for it never materialist. Things, however, has a tendency to turn against our wishes. The world in fact is far from being perfect and the people living in it aren't angels. In some cases the world is closer to hell than heaven and I believe it will never be an utopia.

Jeremiah's ranch is close to a perfect hideout, but it has so many flaws in it that could be corrected if they'd time in their hands. Or a reason to make the ranch impenetrable. The walking dead should be that reason, but I hardly see these people understanding the rules of this new world. Nobody doesn't seem to be aware that the lights can be seen from far away and the noises can bring in the dead. Hence I'm going to say that the Oceanside is far better place than the ranch, because the sea can take away the noises and it also provide endless source of food for the living. At top of the mountain there's no place to hide, when the end comes around knocking on the door.

So, whilst Troy made horrible science with his experiments with the dead, at least he was studying them. He even made a point of writing down the results and making it real, repeatable science. Most of the people still don't acknowledge that fact. Not even if they're fans of the Mythbusters or other similar type of shows. Maybe that is because we are creatures of our habits.

Like I am, right now, by writing this extended review and believing someone is going to read it. But when you like something, you'll go beyond your ways to try to prove it to other people. Just like Jeremiah did when he gave Madison's keys to his madness. He wasn't afraid showing his past or the storage for all those supplies even though he had almost no knowledge about who Madison is and what she is capable. And if he would have truly believed in the survivalists book of rules, he wouldn't had let anyone to come in the ranch, because true survivalists never reveal their locations in the off chance the incomers turn out to be the end of the world as we know it.

Dante understand it. He seems to know the value of things in this new world. And he should have chucked Strand on top of the pile, when he had the chance. The prison hasn't so far kept Strand from escaping. It is almost as if he is blessed or doomed to keep living in that mad world. Not as a king, but at the bottom of the ladder, feeding off from other people.

Nick in the other hand is the opposite. He was the worst and now, he is one of the good ones. Still I don't know why he wasn't invited into the pot party to answer twenty question, but were instead send off to a boar hunt. He would have loved answering all those questions, maybe even make his own ones. Now Alicia was introduced to the young ones, and she won't ever tell his brother about it in the chance that Nick will turn it on its head and go back into the hell of being addict.

Those are few reasons why I think this episode was really good. Well done Fear team. Well done AMC. (y)

I honestly thought Nick had killed Troy with that shot along his head.

Well Nick isn't his step-brother. He wasn't even Travis' son. So there is no reason to believe he would have done the deed, because it would have ended their life at the ranch. Possible even caused harm to Madison and Alicia. But to be honest, I didn't even believe he was going to pull the trigger. Now we can at least trust that there's no bad blood between them.

Troy may now have a bad ear to go along with his bad eye.

Yeah. Tinnitus is going to be bitch.

Memory may fail me, but I don't recall Nick killing any of the living thus far in the series.

According to the wikia this is the list of his victims:

Of course, Strand might be hallucinating

I agree. Angels never appear in real life.

Third-most surprising: the straight-laced, Bible-studying youngsters of Broke Jaw Ranch are closet potheads.

Oh, you should definitely attend some of those parties, because you would be surprised. :whistle:

Wonder if Strand was hallucination or was that Daniel? That brings my thoughts back to Chris, is he really dead? We seen the flashback of him being killed but maybe it was easier to say he was dead than to admit they had dumped him somewhere .

We seen the flashback of him being killed but maybe it was easier to say he was dead than to admit they had dumped him somewhere .

Agreed, but thing is would those boys had been alive to tell that story knowing how willing he was to kill just about anyone?

Chris growing more unstable, he is either asleep or scouting,his companions too scared to confront him take off at the first opportunity leaving him alone in the hope the dead will do what they can't.

It would be slightly ironic if what ever group took out the helicopter and silenced the outpost contains Chris and Ofelia.

Isn't Daniel just a vision/angel? If not it will be good to have him back in the living, but it is quite a coincidence for the characters to meet. But otherwise another great episode. For current yearly series I would only put Better Call Saul above this show in quality.

Whoever shot down that helicopter is bound to be coming for the ranch.

Very good episode. Excellent in my books and I like the fact that I don't know everything.
While you didn't think they were just kids playing at soldiers, no one here guessed they were Preppers, so don't be so harsh on yourself in that regard. It was a surprise to us all.

It makes perfect sense that they are Preppers though. They have years of food and ammunition in that underground shelter. Two points that I would make though - personally, anyone who makes that much of a detailed plan for TEOTWAWKI is a little odd, and Maddison is quite right to keep giving them a wide berth - secondly, a storehouse like that is going to be a big prize. A prize that other gangs will fight over. Not keeping it a big secret, but actually inviting strangers in to have a look around, well, that's asking for trouble - especially as we still have no idea who shot down the helicopter.

Fresh water would be a valuable commodity in a desert, but rather than wait in a queue for Dante to sell me some, if any, I think I would pack my bags and move elsewhere. Anyway, what are those people paying with in the return for the water. Everything is scarce and previously valuable items are worthless unless you can eat them or shoot with them.

Reactions: ctg
Anyway, what are those people paying with in the return for the water.

What use there is with valuables? Nothing. You cannot eat them. You can trade with them but usuable goods should have much more purchasing power than anything that the old world used. What I would pay for is protection or transportation to a safe location.

Everything is scarce and previously valuable items are worthless unless you can eat them or shoot with them.

Bow and arrows are much more valuable than any powder weapons. You can reacquire your ammunition and reuse it multiple times before its too worn out. And possibly you can make your own arrow much easier than thinking about making powder and packing them into a shell.

storehouse like that is going to be a big prize. A prize that other gangs will fight over.

I keep thinking this, because I would personally fight on Jeremiah side to keep that place secured. His and all the knowledge he has stored in the books and tapes is worth as much what he has in that bunker. Alone, it would be worthless to him, but as long as he can keep people on his side, it's all good.

I think Ricknation had never that good anywhere. Not that the beginning and not in the Alexandria. Even Saviors don't have that much of supplies. The military, who should, was overran and they never got to guard the food and ammo, because everyone plus zombies went after their goodies.

Taken this is horror series Madison&co aren't going to enjoy long time those supplies as you said the helicopter shooters are coming after the ranch and their people. Funny thing is that is survivalists nightmare. It's even in their codebook.