Wonder Woman Discussion Thread - Spoilers!

Wow I hadn't known she was once Miss Israel and entered Miss Universe. Full credit to her for then developing the acting career but pretty much confirms the key qualities required of the role other than the exotic accent :) Though I'm sure Chris Pines career was heavily influenced by his looks so works both ways!

I quite enjoyed Wonder Woman, although not so much because it was more 'fun' than the other DCEU movies. I actually don't mind that DCEU are trying to keep their movies a bit darker and less focused on the laughs... now if they could just learn to write scripts that'd be excellent :) Although with Wonder Woman they did do a decent job. It was nicely done and I personally enjoyed Robin Wright who is such a star. As a female I was happy to get a superhero movie with a female lead as well.

Wow I hadn't known she was once Miss Israel and entered Miss Universe. Full credit to her for then developing the acting career but pretty much confirms the key qualities required of the role other than the exotic accent :) Though I'm sure Chris Pines career was heavily influenced by his looks so works both ways!
It does work both ways, definitely... although quite often men still get to wear a full set of clothes even if they are good looking, whilst women have to wear tiny outfits. Let's wait and see how Aquaman works out, guess Jason Momoa's selling point could be a tiny outfit also :ROFLMAO:

Watched it and thought it was okay. The use of diversity and reverse discrimination was good to see.

However, my recurring complaint about set design for ancient peoples applies - it didn't feel or seem remotely Ancient Greek, and the way the Amazons were dressed just looked odd, especially those foam headguards. The CGI looked poor and obvious here as well.

Also, the story seemed to stutter and slip in the last act: WW attends a party to kill a German officer, but as she strides at him she's blocked - suddenly, that officer is on the roof firing gas at a village - but rather than tackle him, she runs a few miles to look at the village - then is directed to find the officer via a column of smoke made by her comrades - which leads her to the secret massive floodlit airfield - where the real villain suddenly appears from nowhere ito announce himself to her.

Cue lights and music for obligatory fight CGI at the end, against a Greek god who didn't look like any kind of Greek god, but more like a starter adventurer in iron armour from Skyrim.

There were some weird cuts in the fight scene, especially toward the end - I'm not sure if it was just rushed for time, or whether the director wanted to recreate a sense of comic panels following one after another without flow between them.

My daughters loved the film, especially the eldest. And yet ... I came away feeling that WW lacked agency. She'd been effectively led about only to react to situations - rather than lead the story in itself.

The Scottish sidekick was stand-out for the fact he didn't do anything.

Overall, the film reminded me a lot of the first Captain America film - that also struggled to find it's feet, and ended up lacking polish. As Winter Soldier was far better, perhaps there's hope for WW yet.

2c.

I watched it a few days ago. Interesting, but nothing extraordinary to make me wish for a second time.

Those Amazons outfits had a mix of classical with goddess one. Is Wonder Woman a goddess ?

I was really dissapointed in their choice of Ares. He didn't have the look of a god at all.

Chris Pines was great in his role of pilot spy.

Brian, Alexa, does it help to think of WW as a coming-of-age story? Diana begins the movie as a child enthralled with combat and warfare in romantic terms. Then she sees the real devastation, and then she understands that she may be the cause of innocents being injured and killed.

I thought that was well portrayed, but entirely agree that the ending felt tacked on to give the film a recognizable conclusion in comic book movie terms, but was unsatisfactory in terms of story.

Randy M.

The Scottish sidekick was stand-out for the fact he didn't do anything.

Actually he did a good job of showing that shooting people in the head from fifty paces is still traumatic, and that he had no idea how to cope with being treated with kindness and compassion by Diana.

His plot purpose was to show Diana, not himself.

Actually he did a good job of showing that shooting people in the head from fifty paces is still traumatic, and that he had no idea how to cope with being treated with kindness and compassion by Diana.

His plot purpose was to show Diana, not himself.

A fair point, and one my wife and eldest just put to me, too. :)

Of the recent DC Universe films, Wonder Woman was definitely the best. I think I allowed my expectations to be a little too high, though.

At least her mother wasn't called Martha. :D

They said it in the movie, but as I didn't read the Comics, I had to ask. Thanks !:)

Aha, I see! I'm only answering from the perspective of the movie too, alas. I was a Marvel girl and largely ignored all DC universe beyond Batman when I was reading comics.