June 2017: What are you reading

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul_C

Paul_C Well-Known Member

Just finished Ready Player One, which was very good indeed. I'm not geeky enough to know all of the references, but that didn't matter.

Next up I'm going to read a couple of short stories that I've converted from text freely available on the net so that I can read them on my kindle. I'm hoping this isn't frowned upon as I could read them on my PC, but I can't get it upstairs to read in bed ;)

Folding Bejing by Hao Jingfang (translated by Ken Liu) and A Hundred Ghosts Parade Tonight written by Xia Jia and translated by (who else?) Ken Liu.

They can be found here Folding Beijing - Uncanny Magazine and here Clarkesworld Magazine - Science Fiction & Fantasy

I also listened to one of the recent Clarkesworld podcasts on YouTube yesterday and really enjoyed Fool's Cap by Andy Dudak, highly recommended.

J-Sun likes this.
  2. dannymcg

dannymcg Yan.Tan.Tethera. Methera. Pimp.

This is entertaining, thanks. All the pages have been saved to my permanent memory card so I can read them thoroughly. Thanks again

3. dannymcg

Finished Darkling Sea now. I was very close with my guess as to the contents of the "mystery box" at the end :)

4. dannymcg

And now into Thomas A Day's
    "A gray moon over China"
    The blurb says it's about a quantum battery.

Onwards!

5. Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

I imagine someone thought it would be more fun and challenging to do it this way, and to put them in a situation they never thought they would have to face, to teach them to deal with the utterly unexpected.

6. tobl

tobl Well-Known Member

i don't desagree... in principle. But magic... i meanwe all know that no soldier is going to be very attentive to that scenario. Once again, i say, maybe someone , somewhere put this scenario for a reason?

7. Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

I would hesitate to say that we all "know" anything, since there will always be a diversity of opinion on any subject. And soldiers come from diverse backgrounds so I doubt they would all respond in the same way.

But if they know their performance is going to be evaluated why wouldn't they be attentive? Maybe part of the point is to see who is going to be paying attention because they were told to and who is going to slack off because they think it's up to them to decide what is important for them to do. And maybe after being given a series of boring routine tasks they might be thrilled to throw themselves into something interesting like this. Who knows? But it would certainly make a great premise for a book: trainees working through what they think is an impossible scenario only to find out partway through that it's all real.

But we are going off topic here.

I've mainly been reading romance novels lately, because they make good comfort reading when I'm feeling under the weather. The last SFF I read was the complete Onyx Court series by Marie Brennan. I think I'd only read the first one the last time I reported my reading here.

8. hitmouse

hitmouse Well-Known Member

Exactly. In my work I am periodically required to work up plans for response to a number of very unlikely doomsday scenarios. Military, police, government etc also have to do this, basically to understand how to contain a problem and keep things running. Unlikely stuff does happen ( Fukushima, workman switching off an airline mainframe) and some scenarios are just conceivable (widespread ebola or bird flu pandemic). Major Incident Plans are present in the UK to deal eith the sort of things that have happened in London in the last 2 weeks. All of these require detailed modelling. The zombie scenario is not meant to be real, it is a simulation (one of many) designed to test capabilities, and it has value in that sense.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  9. tobl

tobl Well-Known Member

look like i said i don't disagree with nothing that you or theresa said. and i know is suppose to be a training scenario. And once again i have no problem with simulations. Fukushima, bird flu, etc... even a medical zombie, are all at least plausible, so possible and like i said i have no problem with that . I just don't think a scenario envolving magical zombies is even plausible. Unless of course someone inside the Pentagon knowes something diferente.

10. dannymcg

Brain is twitching now - about ten years ago I deffo read a novel about magical zombies. Sigh... no sleep tonight, gonna be frowning at my ceiling trying to remember more details.
    Sigh again

Jo Zebedee likes this.
  11. J-Sun

J-Sun

One of the top handful of my favorites from the last handful of years, easily. :)

Agreed. I just recommended this a couple of days ago on my blog.

dannymcg likes this.
  12. HanaBi

HanaBi Is it Safe?

While perusing a charity shop yesterday, I noticed a handful of well-worn paperbacks by Enid Blyton. On closer inspection they were all "Secret Seven" books going back some 60 odd years!

I used to read a lot of Blyton books as a child, especially these "Secret Seven" books, along with her "Famous Five" collections. Because of the times, they were not very PC, but such things never really crossed my mind at such a young age back then because I was always enthralled with the stories.

I bought all 5 books (although I think she wrote 15 "Secret Seven" all told), and am currently reading "Secret Seven on the Trail" (1962)

I might feel inclined to track down the remaining books, should these five reignite those wonderful late-night bedtime readings of my childhood once more.

The Secret Seven - Wikipedia

Gonk the Insane likes this.
  13. Gonk the Insane

Gonk the Insane A.J. Grimmelhaus

Ahhh, that brings back some memories. I used to read them when I was a kid, too. Not only that but for some reason we had one of them (a Famous Five story, though I can't recall which one) narrated on audio cassette and for long journeys the parents would put that on to keep me quiet. I must have heard that same story dozens and dozens of times...:)

dannymcg, Suzanne Jackson and HanaBi like this.
  14. Fedos

Fedos Well-Known Member

I just finished Children of Dune for the first time by Frank Herbert in an attempt to read through the books in this series by said author. And while it proved to be a competent read, with an interesting premise and engaging developments, I think I would have preferred to know more about the after effects of the world of Dune immediately succeeding Children of Dune instead of what is the focus of God Emperor of Dune as revealed on the dust jacket. That being said, I have very much enjoyed this excursion into Frank Herbert's world and look forward to further complications, revelations, and philosophies expounded upon in God Emperor of Dune.

Stephen Palmer likes this.
  15. Lucien21

Lucien21 Well-Known Member

Finished The Black Elfstone - Terry Brooks

First in a four book series that brings the long running Shannara books to an end.

I enjoyed it. It is probably his best book in years. After Heritage of Shannara the books began to get very samey. This one still has some of that similarity, but seems to be evoking more Heritage of Shannara than HIgh Druid which is a good thing.

It had me gripped from the start and I read it in a couple of days, leaving me wanting more.

16. Paul_C

Paul_C Well-Known Member

I've finished the two short stories, both of which I liked a lot, particularly the atmosphere of A Hundred Ghosts Parade Tonight. Both left me wanting to know more about the world they briefly describe, which I like in a short story.

Next up is Gun, With Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem.

17. tobl

tobl Well-Known Member

I read all the series sometime ago. I'm of two minds about it. The first is great, the second good... But after that I think it get's more fantasy than syfy... And las madres aí..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  18. ratsy

ratsy www.scifiexplorations.com

I finished The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst yesterday. It felt like the book was meant to be 200 pages longer and the editor ripped large chunks out, making for a bit of a choppy book.

Now I'm reading Lifeboat by Felix Savage, the sequel to Freefall. It's great so far, 30% in. Love his style.

Also on the audio book of Gwendy's Button Box which is the new King and Chizmar. It's a short one, but I'm digging it so far

19. Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer author of novels

Julian Baggini, Freedom Regained.

20. mdclanahan

mdclanahan New Member

I'm a bit over half-way through Raven Stratagem, the second book in Yoon Ha Lee's Machineries of Empire trilogy(?), which came out in the US last week. Thus far, a great read, possibly better than Ninefox Gambit. I'm enjoying it more, at least--and I liked the first book a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.