Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

I am going to be so disappointed and upset if they don't use the phrase. I'm trying so hard not to get excited about it, but I'm not doing so well haha!

THE MILK IS PIZZLED

I thought Real Life was a cunningly disguised
"perfect murder"
story....

It's my favourite short of his. Just so brilliant on so many levels.

That and the phrase the milk is pizzled. Which will hopefully be gracing our screens soon!

Do you think they replaced that phrase with it's fries not fingers?

Was Real Life based upon We Can Remember it for you Wholesale or were there other similar stories? I can't believe the people on Twitter saying that it is too much like Inception. Inception? Seriously? Are they really all too young to have never seen Total Recall?

The lesbian super-cop in the flying car was the fake reality. How can you have a future world with a flying car but you still can't get mobile phone reception?

I don't know much about Phillip K. Dick, and I think I've read all one of his stories! But I didn't even think of Total Recall or even Inception actually. I'm taking these stories in for the first time. There really weren't many comparisons to be made from either. I've seen lots of stuff about mind-bending realities and none of them came to mind when I was watching Real Life. None of those movies really had the main question of the plot. Which life is real? This one was more low key but thought-provoking whereas Total Recall is more action packed nonsense.

It's way more complex than any of those movies on a character side. On one end you have the lesbian cop who thinks she can't have this perfect life and wants to punish herself on "vacation." On the other hand you have a Billionaire who is bored with real life and is hurting due to the murder of his wife.

Your theory makes sense but only if they didn't show the end scene.
If they weren't watching a foggy video of Terrence Howard crying in a corner.
They probably put that there on purpose to fool people, but still it doesn't make sense if the Lesbian Cop fantasy wasn't real. :sneaky:

My last sentence was meant to be a joke rather than a theory.

PK Dick was a copius writer of short stories, but many are very similar. I agree that Total Recall (only seen first film, though second is apparently an exact copy) is full of nonsense and action, but it is two hours long based upon a very short story. You could say the same for the majority of his films, as few of his books have been filmed - A Scanner Darkly, Radio Free Ablemuth - I would say that an hour long TV show is a much better way to film his short stories.

The milk is pizzled is from a different short story that they are adapting later on in the series.

The actual we can remember it for you wholesale that total recall is based on could easily be a film. Plenty of twists and existential crises!

USA Grand Prix???

Why do they mess around with the scheduling of programmes that I actually want to watch, but never with Reality TV or Soaps. You'll see, next it will be moved to 1.30am, then to 2.30am, then it will miss two weeks and return on a totally different day of the week!

Edit: Channel 4 is pizzled!

Shame about the next episode being shown not next week...

...but in the new year.... :(

Really good. Thoroughly enjoyed.

But why is the milk is pizzled so far away! :'(

I wondered what had happened to this. I was a week behind, so stayed away from the thread in case of spoilers. I thought the second episode - Impossible Planet - was the weakest. I've enjoyed every other episode so far. If I had to pick a favourite or two, I'd say The Commuter and Human Is. I thought they all generated a good atmosphere.

I've watched the first two episodes. I liked "Autofac" more than "Real Life". I find blurring reality less intriguing than defining sentience.
I'm looking forward to the remaining eight episodes.

The series returns to UK screens this coming Monday (the 26th) at 22:00, with an episode with the title, The Father Thing.
Thanks. I did wonder recently if I'd missed out on the second part, but I've been that busy I wasn't bothered. Hopefully I'll find the time as I did enjoy most of the first few episodes. But also I'm only up to series 3 of Breaking Bad and series 4 of Game of Thrones!

Thanks. I did wonder recently if I'd missed out on the second part, but I've been that busy I wasn't bothered.
I knew I hadn't missed it, but I was going to ask here where it had gone to. I'm also too busy to keep up with all the TV available, but from my calculation there would only be four more episodes left to show?

I had been keeping an eye out for the programme's return, but this had tailed off.

The only reason I knew it was coming back was because I happened to hear its return being announced on Channel Four during an advert break.