Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

Caught the trailer for this at the end of a film today - already set and waiting.

That's how I heard about it :)
It doesn't seem to have been publicised very much - unless the weekend TV guides play it up big time

You've found a date? Brilliant. All I've been able tokwind for ages is 'coming soon'.

Hoping for good things

Drat and double drat!
I forgot all about it being on.
Have to get it on catch up now - did anyone watch episode one? Review?

The Hoodmaker

I was impressed on what was done with a TV budget. The background scenery, effects and costumes were quite detailed. I also liked that they didn't try to modernise it - so they used celluloid film on reels, drove old cars, and read books with linen bindings - this was a 1950's alternative future not a 2017 future. I imagine that not to do so would have meant altering the story too much (though it isn't a short story I remember reading.)

As for the story, I wouldn't want to spoil. You can easily get it on catch up. It concerns mutants with facial scars and telepathic powers who are demanding political freedoms. There is street violence and the government agents are using telepaths to 'read' suspects, and to pull out the ring leaders. Some wearing 'hoods' cannot be 'read.' They investigate these 'hoods' further and look for the enigmatic 'hoodmaker.'

The first episode of Electric Dreams aired last night.

It was quite good, but bears very little resemblance to the source material. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

In the late 1980's I used to read the yellow covered, hard-back, Gollancz anthologies that were held by the public libraries. I must have read 50-100 stories but not that. He was certainly a prolific writer.

I thought it was good.

I do feel the need to dig out my short story collection and re read the original though - felt a bit like my memory is off, which isn't usual, but it has been so long since I read the book it's in I'm not sure!