Logan

I thought I'd talked about this here, but evidently not. I loved it! Watch it! It's a lot darker than any of the previous X-Men films, and all the better for it.

Logan is a bloody great movie across the board. Jackman, Keene and Stewart all give exceptional performances that sadly will likely pass unrecognised by the academy. If there's one thing I'd nit-pick it's the use of X-24. For a film that was as grounded and real as Logan using an evil clone with no personality or motivation as the main villain clashed with the tone and didn't feel particularly dramatic.

While X-24 does represent the mindless animal Wolverine could have become under different circumstances Sabretooth has always embodied that idea in a less on the nose, more realistic fashion. In retrospect he would have been a better villain. Creed's always been self-centred, so I can easily see him selling out the rest of Mutant kind to help Rice and Pearce for his own benefit. It also would have helped to reinforce the movie's theme of family with Logan struggling even more with his newfound responsibility as a father with the weight of his broken brotherly bond with Sabretooth nagging at him.

It also would have helped to reinforce the movie's theme of family with Logan struggling even more with his newfound responsibility as a father with the weight of his broken brotherly bond with Sabretooth nagging at him.

I honestly expected X-24 to actually be Sabretooth when they were doing the slow hinting shots before the full reveal. When it turned out to be a clone of Logan I was let down by that.

I have just watched Logan. Honestly, no matter how much I like Logan and Charles, this one is a commercial movie to *milk* more money from the public.
Charles was already dead, so what's the point to bring him back, make him old and sick and kill him again ? Logan died several times in the past, so why this time is old and dies for good ?
It's dark, bloody and sad.

I enjoyed it. I liked the risks they took to explore other aspects of the franchise and genre that hasn't already been beaten to death. I could see the whole Sabertooth argument and I think there were a few plotholes but overall it was good!

Charles was already dead, so what's the point to bring him back, make him old and sick and kill him again ? Logan died several times in the past, so why this time is old and dies for good ?

The X-Men movies have been playing fast and loose with continuity for quite some time now. Charles was actually resurrected for Days of Future Past, which is two movies ago now, so you can hardly pin that one on Logan. Also most people are happy to forget that The Last Stand ever happened, anyway. And I don't recall Logan ever having died on-screen before, let alone several times? But I think even the makers of this movie point towards this being in an alternate reality or timeline, and that probably works best (and really makes it fit in with the X-Men comics!).

There's a podcast that I listen to, The Weekly Planet (which I'd highly recommend), where one of the hosts has a theory that the first X-Men film was only 'real' one, and each subsequent movie is simply a fictitious creation within the reality of the first X-Men movie. It holds up particularly well for this film, with the incident at the Statue of Liberty the only real direct reference to the previous films, from memory.

It's dark, bloody and sad.

That's kinda what I loved about it. But it was also hopeful, I thought. And most importantly, it was different to pretty much everything (comic book movie-wise) that came before, which was very appealing to me.

Oh heck yes! Logan was one of the better X-men movies from my perspective!

Though I have to warn you, it's definitely sad :(.

I watched it the other day and rather enjoyed it. I thought Huge Ackman and Patrick Stewart were really good, but it was Dafne Keen who made it come alive for me. She was great. I found Stephen Merchant's accent and monotone delivery incredibly distracting, though.

Enjoyed this far more than I expected. A gritty, low-key story about old men whose time has gone. Loved the atmospheric soundtrack. Quite violent by comparison to the other X-Men films, but I thought it was a fitting epilogue to the franchise as a whole. Glad to see the move away from superheroes in costumes to a more human-centric story. Patrick Stewart was superb, and I loved the way it finished with the + becoming x.

Watched this recently; I have to admit that it did cause a reaction, since it wasn't what I've expected of the franchise: slightly different flavor. This was a good thing in that it both shakes up the audience and upends the usual trope a bit.

Just watched this today and that Daphen (sp?) Keen is a bomb little actress. She made the movie and it was great.

It was shocking at first with the level of violence, but after Deadpool it was on par with that.

I liked it.

I loved this film when it came out - arguably the best of all the Marvel films, let alone the X-Men. I've noticed a new "Noir" version of the film has popped up on my Now TV subscription - essentially the film remastered in black and white, but I'm going to give that a look too.

It's just received an Oscar nod for Best Adapted Screenplay. While it certainly deserves it I find it an odd choice for its sole nomination, for while it's a very good script it still is some issues like the out of place nature of X-23, not to mention the film has numerous aspects that in my opinion were more worthy of a nod, such as the direction, cinematography, and especially the performances of Jackman, Keene and Stewart.

Ah but the Academy couldn't possibly give a nod to one of those filthy genre films! That's what the Special Effects and other minor categories are for!

The top honours are reserved for Academy buddies. Everyone alive who holds an Academy award gets a vote, and most of them have not seen the majority of nominations, so they cast their vote for the film their friend was in / worked on.

4 Reasons Why Oscar Voting Is Dumb, Explained By A Voter