Spin offs

Mark Robson

Dragon Writer
Out of interest, have many been following the other 3 linked series to Daredevil? Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. I really enjoyed Jessica Jones, particularly for David Tennant's bad guy, who was brilliantly portrayed. Wasn't so struck by Luke Cage. Iron Fist is interesting, particularly as a martial artist, though I must admit that I prefer the Colleen Wing character's storyline to that of the main character.

I got this soooo backwards. I'm not a comic guy but was surfing one rainy weekend. I clicked on Netflix's Jessica Jones. Fell in infatuation with her, and then noticed she was in The Defenders. Liked that as well. I just finished Luke Cage and will probably start Daredevil this week.

I agree Droff, though I think Punisher will blow it out of the water. Jessica's Jones is just unlikeable, Iron Fist was OK but not great. Luke Cage is a great character but the story is weak and predictable.

The Netflix series have overall hit very high standards. Daredevil 1 remains my favourite and is a truly astounding piece of TV. Jessica Jones was excellent, as was DD 2, whilst Luke Cage was decent and Iron Fist was, IMHO, the weakest of the lot, but still interesting.

Not sure what the future might hold, though. There are second seasons for Luke Cage and Jessica Jones and a third for DD. However, after that, Disney is taking the whole lot back under its control. They've made a fine fist of the Marvel cinematic universe, but not convinced that they'll do the dark & gritty stuff quite as well.

Is it confirmed that the Netflix deal ends after Luke Cage s2 and Daredevil s3? I was under the impression that Punisher 2 had been confirmed and Daredevil s3 hadn't yet.

Cheers for clearing that up. Let's hope they can learn from their mistakes with Iron Fist. I'm really looking forward to Luke Cage 2, didn't realise it was so soon.

I liked the two JJ series and Cage the best, but DD and Defenders were pretty good. Iron Fist was more campy fun. I didn't bother with Punisher after reading the reviews.

I loved The Punisher. It's way better than Iron Fist or The Defenders. I also liked Iron Fist but it was quite definitely not in the league of the other Marvel shows.

I thoroughly enjoyed ALL of these series, they all had something different to offer: Daredevil was a really well made, generic masked vigilante story, just what you would expect and then some.

In Jessica Jones I liked the little nods to the conventions of Chandleresque Gumshoe stories, plus I also saw it as a whole as an allegory for spousal / girlfriend abuse.

Luke Cage was great fun, essentially a 70's blaxploitation flick where the protagonist has super powers and at the same time providing a rousing message regarding the state of race relations in America today, in particular to the relations between African Americans and law enforcement. In short the subtext was pretty heavey stuff!

Iron Fist was extremely silly and terrific fun. It didn't take itself too seriously and didn't try to be anything more than it needed be. A fun action melodrama.

Punisher was so grim and as others already said, it was made by Bernthal's performance (he truly is Thomas Jane's heir), with another actor it could easily have failed.

Then there's Defenders. That was awesome :)

EDIT: Almost forgot to say: I'm kinda hoping that Disney has only taken back the rights temporarily so that Samuel L Jackson can enlist the Defender's help in undoing the damage done at the end of Infinity Wars...

Last edited: