The Orville - 1.01: Old Wounds

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Saw the pilot. A bit rough some of the jokes fell flat but overall , it wasn't bad at all. :)

The pilot had this SciFi nerd grinning from ear to ear. Very well done. I was very impressed with the visuals, on par with the Expanse, if not brighter and better! Really appreciate all the effort Seth went to make this show look realistic. I couldn't come up with a better crew if I was making my own ST series. Good as a comedy show? No. Good as a Drama? No. Good as a dramedy? Oh hell yes! This is your less serious Star Trek, and perfect for all those who do not want to pay for STD.

Also Agents of Shield fans will recognize Adrianne Palicki AKA Bobbi Morse as XO/Seth's ex-wife. Having the MC and the Ex-Wife as Captain and XO is comedic genius!

Now for the fun stuff. A couple observations I made that are spoilers:

1. The year is perfect. 2415! Very far into the future. The first scene shows Seth in a driverless car pod!

2. They have a holodeck on board with friendly ogres!

3. The cast of the ship is way more diverse than Star Trek ever was.

4. No teleportation. Probably within good reason. So far they only use shuttles. Which might confuse Star Trek fans.

5. Time travel is not just theoretical! The time travel device featured in the pilot was really neat to see. I know from Family Guy Seth has always been a Time Travel nerd like me, so it was cool to see something new happen in the genre.

6. The Krill are the bad guys.

7. On board operations are a complete ripoff from Star Trek, down to the Red Alert battle-stations. They just have different less serious names.

I have mixed feelings, especially McFlarne reinforcing classical ST science fiction. My biggest problem was with the artificial gravity and the silliness involved with the alien fight. But I laughed at few jokes on positive side. However I wouldn't call it being bar the Expanse.

I have mixed feelings, especially McFlarne reinforcing classical ST science fiction. My biggest problem was with the artificial gravity and the silliness involved with the alien fight. But I laughed at few jokes on positive side. However I wouldn't call it being bar the Expanse.

No it doesn't have the grittiness from The Expanse, but I think the models were really well done. The ships look beautiful. Especially that shot with the Orville and the Krill ship.

Yeah. They are beautiful. And shiny. And copies very closely ST:NG style.

I would say that's OK. Especially since ship operations were also stolen from ST too. In fact so many people criticize CGI. So Seth has an in there. Even the Expanse has been criticized for using crappy CGI. I think the robot crew member, is a little cheesy but I expect some cheesiness from Seth too.

Hi,

For me the first epp which was aired yesterday, was a miss. Yes it's definitely a Trek rip off, but that didn't bother me. And yes the visuals are fantastic - except for the battle scene where he threads the donkey or whatever - that just looked stupid. But these shows live and die on their drama elements. I felt nothing for the crew. There was no emotional oomph. The camaraderie between the crew was flat, and I didn't believe any of them. It was as though they couldn't make up their minds whether they were playing a dramatic sci fi or a parody of one, and the result fell through the gaps between them.

Cheers, Greg.

I really liked this.
Yes, it's a very thinly disguised Star Trek -- the ships, the uniforms, the ripply-faced aliens. Mark Jackson, as the robotic lifeform, Isaac, seems to be doing his very best impression of Brent Spiner's Data. Even the soundtrack appears to desperately want to be pure ST-TNG, but manages to restrain itself.
As one critic somewhat harshly put it: Todd VanDerWerff on Twitter :D
I thought that the premiere struck a nice balance between humor and action. I'd be OK with turning up the character development and drama elements -- slightly, as the show continues. I wouldn't expect an opening episode to score 100 percent with all nacelles.
I wonder about the Orville's namesake -- Wright or Redenbacher?

I was impressed with Seth Macfarlanes performance, He plays the Captain with the right balance of silly and serious,though some of the jokes did fall a bit flat. This show might just succeed. I also liked the rest of the cast especially the first officer ,wonderful character. :cool:

This show is already getting a cult following online! I am so happy, and yet a little dismayed that a true dramatic science fiction show can't perform to American audiences as well as The Orville did. TV Ratings: ‘The Orville’ Premieres Solid for Fox, ‘Sunday Night Football’ Returns Up

The Orville is currently standing at 7 Million viewers for the pilot episode and that means it is currently the second-biggest broadcast drama premiere since NBC's This is Us last year! That's going to change when the comedies come back at the end of the month and maybe some drama might kick it out of first place, but the force is strong with this one.

Oh and remember these ratings might actually be lower than normal since huge cities are currently without power in the US due to Hurricanes.

I got a chance to the first episode yesterday and I have to say that there is enough there to try the next episode. What will kill my interest in this show will be the humour. I've never liked MacFarlane's humour and this is no exception. His jokes have all the subtlety of a falling anvil.

What this show needs is someone who can take control and to tell MacFarlane no. They need to strike the right balance between science fiction, comedy, and homage. My choice would be Dean Parisot, the director of Galaxy Quest.

I got a chance to the first episode yesterday and I have to say that there is enough there to try the next episode. What will kill my interest in this show will be the humour. I've never liked MacFarlane's humour and this is no exception. His jokes have all the subtlety of a falling anvil.

What this show needs is someone who can take control and to tell MacFarlane no. They need to strike the right balance between science fiction, comedy, and homage. My choice would be Dean Parisot, the director of Galaxy Quest.

I think that over time MacFarlane will dial down some of his jokes. He wants this show to be success so he will jettison what doesn't work.

It's been catching a lot of flak on various Facebook discussions.

I enjoyed the first episode. Some of the humour felt a little forced but most of it brought a smile to my face. Plus Adrianne Palicki :love: I'll probably wait until Fox UK show it before I watch any more episodes.

I enjoyed the first episode. Some of the humour felt a little forced but most of it brought a smile to my face. Plus Adrianne Palicki :love: I'll probably wait until Fox UK show it before I watch any more episodes.

The show gets better.(y)