The Orville

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Is it as funny as S1 though? Does that matter? Given, that I think the consensus here was that it would be better with less comedy and more drama.
If there is balance between the two , then that's fine. :)

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I don't think it is as funny, and yes, it IS supposed to be comedy. Where it may have got it right IMHO is that there are fewer better jokes, rather than lots of poor jokes. However, that is a matter of opinion and I'm not saying that I know best.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Well, I don't think it is as funny, and yes, it IS supposed to be comedy. Where it may have got it right IMHO is that there are fewer better jokes, rather than lots of poor jokes. However, that is a matter of opinion and I'm not saying that I know best.
Dave , im not being critical of your opinion.:confused:

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Maybe 20-30 minutes is the limit for a successful comedy show.
Correct me if memory fails, but I can't recall a comedy that made a go of the 40-60 minute format. Chuck comes to mind, but even that show included dramatic elements from time to time. I was always surprised when someone was killed in the series.
Conversely, I can think of many dramas that have successfully injected bits of comedy, including Star Trek: TOS. Humorous quips between characters can lighten the most serious of situations.
The opening season two episodes of The Orville indicate, to me, that MacFarlane is having some success at finding the right emotional mix.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
Correct me if memory fails, but I can't recall a comedy that made a go of the 40-60 minute format.
Preacher. You definitely like that. Lethal Weapon, if I remember correctly. American Gods, certainly and you surely have liked this.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Preacher is in a category all of its own. Drama-comedy-horror? ;)
I do like it, but it's definitely an acquired taste. The show would never find a home on a mainstream broadcast network.
I've not watched the Lethal Weapon series or American Gods. Upon additional reflection, I think that The Librarians might be considered a comedy with dramatic overtones.
I guess that the bottom line is that successful dramedy is a tricky business. The Orville is making progress toward getting it right.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Curses! The show loses its cutest cast member with the departure of Halston Sage.
The development caught me completely by surprise. Halston;s character, Lt. Alara Kitan, was the star of the episode, and her dilemma with light gravity had been resolved.
I found no explanation for the departure on line. One site did speculate that the change might be only for the balance of this season. Her lengthy emotional sendoff at the end of the show suggested otherwise.
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, which seemed more like a traditional Star Trek episode than others. The guest star additions to the cast were noteworthy. It was a pity that two former Star Fleet medical officers could not have met under more congenial circumstances.
I immediately recognized Patrick Warburton's voice behind his alien elephant mask. I'll need to watch this episode again to look for Jason Alexander. (the rhino-horned alien taking bets in the opening arm-wrestling scene?)
I can't blame Alara for opting to return to her beautiful home planet, Xelaya. I wouldn't mind emigrating there myself. Guess I'd better hit the gym. :D

Last edited:

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I can only agree with @REBerg 's assessment. Robert Picardo and John Billingsley were instantly recognisable from their voices alone. Do you think the "Esophagus man" is a full-time addition to the crew?

They obviously did take notes from us last year. This is now simply "Star Trek" with no more jokes than a typical old Star Trek episode would have had, maybe even less.

scarpelius

Regarding Alara: this is puzzling, IMDB says she will make appearance in more episodes in 2019. Old cast on imdb?

- Episode #2.14 (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- Episode #2.13 (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- Episode #2.12 (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- Episode #2.11 (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- Episode #2.10 (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- Episode #2.9 (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- Episode #2.8 (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- Episode #2.7 (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- A Happy Refrain (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- All The World Is Birthday Cake (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- Home (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- Primal Urges (2019) ... Lt. Alara Kitan
- Ja'loja (2018) ... Lt. Alara Kitan

Jeffbert

I just watched s2, E3 on HULU, NO commercials. I guess I will check for other current shows. :love: But 1st, more TOL, the original series. We control the horizontal, we control the vertical.

I was a bit disappointed with e3, because I like this character.

:unsure: How did the esophagus guy put on what appears to be a pullover shirt? ;) Was it stitched on him?

I find it a bit odd, that the lesser gravity's weakening affects were completely unexpected.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I find it a bit odd, that the lesser gravity's weakening affects were completely unexpected.
it wasn't "unexpected." It seemed to be well documented. The "odd" part was that the patient was unaware and the Doctor hadn't already spoken to her, and already implemented something to alleviate it. However, despite the change in the plots away from a comedy sketch show format, I doubt we are expected this series to make complete sense. Or else, if they want us to, then they are going to have to work harder on a lot more than this.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter

I kind of like that the relationship are the long arc, but I don't expect them to take over episodic plots. Why captain, for being a cool guy, wouldn't take a vacation when he doesn't need to? It's not like they're in a galaxy wide war.

The Krill attack didn't make much of the sense. They haven't made the Orville to be the centre piece in the interstellar conflict and the captain certainly isn't someone super interesting. So, why capture him at all?

When the Krill captain asked, Ed explained that he would have access to the Union fleet deployments. Only Admirals could do such a thing. Why Krill's cannot understand that? Not that it would mean anything, because you should learn those from the observations alone.

Captain surely had done the homework as he knew exactly what Krill had done at back in the day. I liked that he decided to be diplomat rather than a warrior. All the ST captains are certainly like that. Funny as it is Kelly seems to be more hostile than Ed. Maybe it's because woman usually aren't afraid of confrontation.

The biggest gesture of diplomacy was to let their spy to go.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
2.04 Nothing Left on Earth Excepting the Fishes
It seems as though the more this show resembles Star Trek, the more I like it
Separating the dramatic and humorous story lines worked well. I felt sorry for poor Capt. Mercer, taking another chance on love, only to learn that his new girlfriend is an enemy alien in disguise. I hate it when that happens.
I think that Mercer and Cmdr. Grayson are destined to reunite. The commander's teacher boyfriend sure looks like a redshirt to me.

Lt. Malloy's sudden command aspirations to improve his dateability provided nice comic relief to Mercer's Enemy Mine situation. Malloy's simulated standoff with the Krill captain should have made it clear to the lieutanant that as a ship's captain, he makes an excellent pilot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cli-Fi Star Trek 13