The Orville

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
“I think what you’re going to see in season 2 is a show that’s even more comfortable in its footing in terms of existing in that goldilocks zone,” he told the gathered crowd, via IndieWire. “Every episode feels like a movie, and I think you’re going to dig it.”

The tone of season 1 was also brought up, which he addressed with a packed room. “This show was a tonal experiment of sorts. Comedy and sci-fi when you blend them together, they don’t always mix well. In features they do, but television is kind of hard to sustain. The pleasant surprise for me was that fans and viewers were willing to let us tell a story. They weren’t waiting for the next joke to come.”

“Initially, I think the show was a little misrepresented. It was marketed as a comedy… I’m not sure why. Maybe there was a worry this was so new and weird and different it wouldn’t land,” he mused, before adding "The show was always intended to be what it is now."
The Orville season 2: "every episode feels like a movie"

Dave they listened your worries!

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
Exactly! it's not this...
Certainly not. I think it was Seth's slogan, because he couldn't help himself on setting on in the poster. But, that old school Universal Films poster is super cool. I cannot remember ever seeing it.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
Political reasons. They're betting that this won't be picked outside the geek circles, but I bet there are huge market for the Orville in the Asian market, where BR isn't widely adapted. The next season with it's feature long double episodes is going to even more important to get at HD format. So Fox might be betting you'll have an AMZ Prime account and access to the Prime TV to get HD content instead of fiddling with the disks.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Political reasons. They're betting that this won't be picked outside the geek circles, but I bet there are huge market for the Orville in the Asian market, where BR isn't widely adapted. The next season with it's feature long double episodes is going to even more important to get at HD format. So Fox might be betting you'll have an AMZ Prime account and access to the Prime TV to get HD content instead of fiddling with the disks.
Withholding HD versions of past seasons to drive fans to streaming services would be a dastardly development, which I hope will fail.
I nearly fell for that ploy when CBS launched All-Access and tempted me with Star Trek: Discovery. Having recently purchased the season on Blu-ray, I am looking forward to binge-watching the episodes for about half the cost of a year of CBS All-Access.

Jeffbert

After reading 4 pages of the 11, I have a feel for the general attitude about this show. Not too good, it seems. I watched the 1st 2 episodes last night on HULU. I do not know if #1 was a pilot. Anyway, it seems strange that in reference to #2, nobody has yet mentioned that line from Roddy McDowell's character in that TTZ episode, in fact, I think it is the episode's title. People are Alike all Over. :ROFLMAO:

My own impression, so far, is that while I agree that much of the humor falls flat, my interest in the series has little to do with it. It is an interesting Scifi show. The various types of humanoid species is interesting, but I could live without them. The props, sfx, etc., also adds to the attraction, but the stories are most interesting to me. I expect to finish s1 on HULU sometime next week. Don't even know what day the show airs. Might wait for s2 on HULU. After abandoning Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda midway into its 5th season, I hope this one will be more to my liking.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter

Al Jackson

I don't care what Seth MacFarlane says this show is a riggered Galaxy Quest.
I watched episodes of the first season and thought it was well enough done, but it does not pull me in, mainly because of the Star Trek aping. Galaxy Quest did that better.
I don't understand the popularity of this show it is way too derivative.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
I don't understand the popularity of this show it is way too derivative.
Man, there's a demand for classical SF and especially well done space-operas. People really liked the old school ST, even the Next Generation and it was taken out from the small screen for a very long time. This series hits marks on many accounts for the general public. It is the hard SF fans that cannot take the mistakes on hard science. With this series you have to turn off that side in you. It's the same thing as what you do, when you read Douglas Adams or Harry Harrison or new writers like Toby Frost or Peter W Ford AKA The Bloated One.

The Orville is not a series for serious minded people. Sorry.

Al Jackson

Man, there's a demand for classical SF and especially well done space-operas. People really liked the old school ST, even the Next Generation and it was taken out from the small screen for a very long time. This series hits marks on many accounts for the general public. It is the hard SF fans that cannot take the mistakes on hard science. With this series you have to turn off that side in you. It's the same thing as what you do, when you read Douglas Adams or Harry Harrison or new writers like Toby Frost or Peter W Ford AKA The Bloated One.

The Orville is not a series for serious minded people. Sorry.
The Expanse is show I have been waiting for. Dirt under the finger nails space opera with more verisimilitude than ST or SW. It is a gem.

Jeffbert

S2, E1 should be airing before I finish this post, but, I will wait until enough is on my DVR so I can FFWD through the commercials.

A few thoughts on the previous season:

1. Talent itself replaces money!? How does that work? I am sure Seth MacFarlane wants his payment in dollars.
  2. #8, Into the Fold. Woman has two kids, works full-time, etc. On a space ship, no less. Papa's only role was impregnating her. Isaac noted their lack of respect for their mom. Is this a pro-single parent statement or, con? :unsure:
  3. #9, Cupid's Dagger. I thought that the blue guy was going to be the 1st officer. It seemed to me, not as funny, when it turned out to be his ex. Anyway, the Orville at first, seemed like a near bottom of the barrel assignment for Mercer. Not as lowly as Quark's ship, but hardly a prestigious ship. Now, he is dealing with feuding races, each claiming possession of a certain planet. Quite an advancement!
  4. #3, About a Girl. O.k., so this is an allegory; never mind that these two parents are both identified as males. And, as such, the very meaning of the word is lost when two males together can reproduce.:eek: They are not hermaphrodites, but males. :rolleyes: Frederic Brown wrote about a 5 sexed race, took all 5 of them to make a kid. But, this is strange, indeed. The two males produce a female. Females are dirt; their race normally convert loathsome females to males. Amusing how Bortus was persuaded to leave her as is. Should have tried the same tactic on Klyden. So, they go to court to decide the matter. If this were Star Trek, they would have decided against the surgery. I was caught by surprise. Sad ending; unusual, indeed.
I saw only the 1st DVD in TNG, so I am lost when reading references to it. Never even had an interest in the other ST series. Maybe later.

8:50. I guess I will watch s2, #1 tomorrow.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Diverting a starship to allow a crew member to take his annual potty break seemed like a crazy premise unless you recognized the parallel to Spock's slightly more serious dilemma in "Amok Time". Not coincidentally, that episode led the second season of the original series.
Overall, I thought this season premiere worked. Humor was dialed back in favor of personal relationships, but Captain Mercer's shuttlecraft "drivebay" to check on his ex was a funny bit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cli-Fi Star Trek 13