Judge Dredd: Mega City One

Early production leak:

IMG_1752.jpg

;)

A TV series is such a great idea for Judge Dredd - I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Possibly because of the previous focus on movies as being the only way to get in decent special effects. At least a TV series can do that nowadays without breaking the bank.

And in the right hands this has got so much potential, especially for season arcs, heck even a longer one. The comic series from 2000AD is such a rich resource, and there were plenty of major story arcs in that.

And although pulpy and a little tongue in cheek at times, on occasions it rose to serious greatness. The run during issues 500-600 in which issues of democracy came up was brilliant and intelligent. The award-winning two-part story America from the Judge Dredd Megazine is probably the best treatment of political themes I've seen in SF:

Preview: JUDGE DREDD: AMERICA

I'd better not build my hopes too high, though. :)

I just hope they take visual inspiration from the first film and blade runner style visuals rather than the newer film; which kind of didn't really capture that fantasy-futuristic appeal that the early film certainly captured. A TV series for this could work really well, on the flipside it depends on the age-market and on the story writing. Dredd can certainly do criminal of the week style writing without much trouble or a long term story heavy story.

It could work. I didn't like the first film, Rico walking down Street smoking annoyed me, smoking was banned in Mega City except in those bubble things. Seeing Dredd's face. Not a good adaption. The second film I liked. Maybe I should start buying 2000ad and the magazine again.

Seen the one with Stallone. Painful.

But with a sophisticated tv approach, who knows..?

Eta. Actually seen the other one as well. 2012. Not too bad. But it's really a tv opportunity. So much happened, week after week after week...

Last edited:
A TV series is such a great idea for Judge Dredd - I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Possibly because of the previous focus on movies as being the only way to get in decent special effects. At least a TV series can do that nowadays without breaking the bank.

And in the right hands this has got so much potential, especially for season arcs, heck even a longer one. The comic series from 2000AD is such a rich resource, and there were plenty of major story arcs in that.

And although pulpy and a little tongue in cheek at times, on occasions it rose to serious greatness. The run during issues 500-600 in which issues of democracy came up was brilliant and intelligent. The award-winning two-part story America from the Judge Dredd Megazine is probably the best treatment of political themes I've seen in SF:

Preview: JUDGE DREDD: AMERICA

I'd better not build my hopes too high, though. :)
Hmmm

Sounds like you could be an advisor....get those CVs out!

This is excellent news... 2000AD is sorely missing from our Movie and TV screens.

I'll be interested in seeing how the humour and violence translates onto the small screen,.

That cosplay made be laugh, though.

Judge Dredd would work very nicely as a tv series. :)

I'm scared that a lot of Judge Dredd's world is going to be lost if they don't follow the architecture, because so much of that world is backed in visuals that are out from our norm.

27_aug_13_mega_city_one.jpg

Where do you find that architecture on Earth?

To me animated and voice acted Judge Dredd would be a much better solution than doing this.

mega-city-one-from-dredd-2012.jpg

It is known fact that there are no old structures in the Megacities, because all blocks were built upon them and they are closed off property to most of people in Dredd's universe.

I'm scared that a lot of Judge Dredd's world is going to be lost if they don't follow the architecture, because so much of that world is backed in visuals that are out from our norm.

27_aug_13_mega_city_one.jpg

Where do you find that architecture on Earth?

To me animated and voice acted Judge Dredd would be a much better solution than doing this.

mega-city-one-from-dredd-2012.jpg

It is known fact that there are no old structures in the Megacities, because all blocks were built upon them and they are closed off property to most of people in Dredd's universe.

Careful what you wish for:
213rha1.jpg

:whistle:

Very excited about this announcement. I love the comics and the movies, even Judge Dredd holds a certain place in my heart, though I fangirled hard over Dredd back in 2012. I still don't understand how that film "flopped", I blame poor advertising; If the comic's been going non-stop since 1977 then there's a bloody big fan base for Joe Dredd, ya know?

It will be interesting to see how they show Mega City One as others have said. Will it be grim-dark Dredd, or will it be satirical 1970/80s pulp sci-fi?

Personal request, can we keep the 2012 Dredd uniforms? Please...

There's not much news yet, however, Rebellion is interested in Karl and Olivia reprising their roles, but it's still too early for any commitments or announcements yet.

There is a lot of discussion on how the series should look and there are two camps. One for more of a comic look and the other for the Dredd film look. I'm pro comic myself, but then that's the one I'm most used to, provided they use the correct number of links in the chain. ;) I won't complain if they go the other way though (much).

I think it will depend on who gets to show the programme. An HBO show would probably be very dark, whereas if it were BBC you wouldn't be able to do that.

I've no doubt there'll be many exciting announcements over the next 2 years. :)

That's the current time line for the first episode to air. It will still be aired before Star Trek: Discovery though. :whistle:

But I want it now. So, we're at an impasse I feel.

[EDIT] A random thought pops into my head. Will this show be dependant on the American ratings? We can't loose Dredd from our screens for the third time!!1!

I have no idea if UK ratings affect US shows at all, I assume not but I have nothing to back that up with.

Even though Judge Dredd is "American", it's still a British story. How popular is Joe on the other side of the Black Atlantic?

Last edited:
Even though Judge Dredd is "American", it's still a British story. How popular is Joe on the other side of the Black Atlantic?

I'm not sure, but I thought I read recently that there is an original Dredd title published in America that runs parallel - if a little differently - from the UK titles. I'd have to check this, though.