Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Loved it - probably more than I would have under the circumstances. But with the passing of my own father recently, under the circumstances, I'm naturally a little more sensitive to father/daddy storylines, I guess.

In retrospect, it seemed a little fluffy and predictable, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Especially baby Groot running errands - and Stan Lee as the Watcher. Seemed appropriate, and if he passes away soon himself, would be a great way to tie up all his cameos.

I liked it, so did my wife. We'll probably see it again in 3D since we caught the 2D show.

Going to disagree with the people who said Ego was a weak villain.
His ultimate plan was something I can't recall seeing too many times before, and considering the Guardians films carry a very heavy family theme, what villain is more apt than a father who throws away his children that don't live up to expectations?

Going to disagree with the people who said Ego was a weak villain.
His ultimate plan was something I can't recall seeing too many times before, and considering the Guardians films carry a very heavy family theme, what villain is more apt than a father who throws away his children that don't live up to expectations?

I think his motives were fine. He just didn't have enough OOMPH for me. Maybe because it's too simple?

I avoided this thread religiously as I didn't want any spoilers before DVD's release.

I watched it twice last week and really enjoyed it. My standard of a movie/ book classification is simple. If I want to watch a movie or read a book more than once, they are good. If after the first time I'm not interested at all in a second view, then they register automatically in a *bad* category.

Ego was quite a villain and the moment when Gamora discovers the skulls of his others children was scary enough to want him dead, too. Not easy to make a villain from a God, so I'm not sure what he needed to get enough OOMPH.

Baby Groot was adorable.

The scene when Rocket makes fun of Taserface was hilarious.

I'm sad Yondu had to sacrifice himself to save Peter, but he won the right of a true Ravager funeral and finally admitted he was his real daddy.

The Guardians's team grows with two new members.

My only regret is that we will probably have to wait several years to see volume 3. An ado Groot and Peter learing to be a *daddy* should be funny enough to watch.

I believe the Guardians will show up in the next Avengers film, so you won't need to wait that long for your next Groot fix.

In unrelated news I bought Mrs MT a Baby Groot T shirt. Never before have I heard a grown woman squee.

Just watched this and thought it was ... okay. There were funny moments, and the banter was great. But I found the plot too familiar, and the action sequences too cartoonish. The ending draaagged on, and focused on an emotional point that felt empty and false.

I find it harder than ever to enjoy films these days ...

I felt the beginnig was a bit strained, and thought it was going to go badly as a film, but i was pleasantly surprised it immediately got better after the silly intro battle. The humour was great, I loved Drax throughout.

But isn't that showing without a doubt that despite his own disabilities RR is a bit of a dick?

No, there was nothing similar in Vol.2.

I had no idea who RR Busse was so I tried to Google a biography. Every single result for queries that include his name, that isn't just another Marvel book for sale, have been removed in Europe under the recent ruling by the CJEU. Searches bring up nothing about him, not even his forenames! To qualify, the results removed should be inadequate, irrelevant, no longer relevant, or excessive, but this goes well beyond that. What sordid past is this man hiding?

If you do mean Rocket's leg fixation, there was a tiny bit of that in Vol 2 but it was part of a montage about something else.

But isn't that showing without a doubt that despite his own disabilities RR is a bit of a dick?

It would, if the response of everyone around him to this was to point out what a dick he was.

I also didn't like how Rocket's actual genesis as a creature who was tortured and abused during the uplifting process was only dwelled on for a brief second, in case the audience had time to feel bad about it.

It would, if the response of everyone around him to this was to point out what a dick he was.

I also didn't like how Rocket's actual genesis as a creature who was tortured and abused during the uplifting process was only dwelled on for a brief second, in case the audience had time to feel bad about it.

Rocket pretty much spends 60% of the second movie being called out on his being a dick.

I just had to google ableist - not a term I had heard before. I'll be honest - I thought the whole taking the prosthetic leg gag was pretty funny in the first volume. I personally don't see it as particularly noteworthy other than as a small side joke.

Overall I found the first volume to be better - it felt fresh and original whereas this just feels like more of the same. I did really like the conflict between Gamora and Nebula though, I think they portrayed them as siblings really well. Hate and love wrapped in a tangled emotional knot.

Drax is funny. I like how he keeps calling the empath alien hideous and ugly!