The Handmaid's Tale (TV series)

Yep. In this season they're explaining how everything changed, in flashbacks. Good stuff.

What's that camp about ? Is this a way to kill resistance or the digginng has another purpose ? Sorry to ask about it, but I'm not interested to read the book and find out by myself.

The first 3 episodes of season 2 have been excellent.

I think there must be a practical purpose to them working on the polluted land. Though I would have though gas masks would be less costly than the labour resource. I haven't read the books and would prefer no book spoiler here :):censored:

I just want to understand if the camp means a death sentence and the work done is only to prolonge their agony. Perhaps they clean the zone for the sake of the other survivors ?

You know we can always use the spoiler button, right ? ;)

I've read the book, and I don't believe that there was any specified purpose, (something was mumbled about clean up) but clearly whatever purpose there was it was secondary to getting rid of the dissidents.

They could just hang or shoot them like all the others. Why bother to force them to work in such an hostile environment ?

Shrugs shoulders.... Don't know but I don't remember anything being made of what they were doing.

Can I ask stupid questions? I haven't read the book - isn't there just one book? I have seen the film. There were many small differences with Season 1
(her husband didn't escape)
but the film ending gave more hope. It 'kind' of reached the Season 2, half way through ep 3, point. So, is everything (bar the flashbacks) from this point, new material, or is there a series of books they are working from?

As per my knowledge, there is only one novel. Nevertheless, there will be Season 3 in the TV's series. There was a movie ? I thought we had only the series.
I only ask because I wonder if they can keep up the quality when not working from something already written by Atwood. There is probably much to tell, in flashback, about how the world came to this, but I'm not keen on flashbacks myself. If the story is going to be endless escapes and recaptures then it will quickly become repetitive, in much the same way as The Walking Dead has become. What they could do is to have her escape, and then return as an undercover agent for the resistance to free others - something like a WWII SoE agent! She'd need to have the baby first.

The film was made in 1990 with Natasha Richardson (Kate/Offred), Faye Dunaway (Serena Joy), Robert Duvall (The Commander, Fred), Aidan Quinn (Nick), and Elizabeth McGovern (Moira). Yes, she was Kate, not June, but only minor differences from the first Season story. The Handmaid's Tale (film) - Wikipedia

I don't like the flashbacks either. They could give us more about what's going on outside Gilead's world and the resistance instead. or they could give us some views about the life of the others in Giliead's world like home servants, guards, etc. Do they really agree with what's going on around them or they do whatever they can to survive ? I find difficult to accept especially the guards' behaviour. They are so soulless.

Thanks for the info about the film. I hope I can see it soon on the TV. It should be available as a classical from the 90's.

This week's episode (S2E7 I believe)... World's Most Dramatic Pen Click! I'm glad they're finally giving us something to sink our teeth into about Serena's character. I like my anti-heroes to be humanized with a backstory that explains how they got where they are and for the longest time, it was just, "Serena's a victim, too, but she's got a wicked backhand so don't piss her off."

It's worse. Apparently it was Serena's book who inspired the entire new society. She should be happy in this new life she has imagined, but she is not. I didn't know why she couldn't have children, so last episode was relevant for me too.

I've been watching this. There clearly is more story to tell. They are telling the more human story of how Luke feels, how Serena feels. Surprised to feel sympathy for their positions. Yes, the women are fighting back, but it will be a slow process.
While the baby Nicole/Holly has been taken to Canada, Gilead are using diplomacy to try to have her returned.