Navy research resources?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Although I've a number of books about ships and a few memoirs from naval officers, I still feel that I'm lacking a proper understanding of routine naval operations.

For example, I'm not sure which stations might generally be manned on the bridge of a warship, and which officers would be required to be present under which circumstances. It's these sorts of details I'm missing from my existing accounts.

Although I don't need this information in the foreground, I want to ensure it's properly represented in the background, where it's required for the fiction.

I'm already looking at getting a couple of Haynes technical manuals on the Type 45 Destroyer, HMS Alliance nuclear submarine, and possibly even the Queen Mary 2. Those should help give me a better idea of environment, but I'm still missing a sense of routine.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Also, do we have anyone on board who has served or is on active duty in any navy? :)

PS: I know, there are difference between different nation navies, for example with officer ranks. I'm not looking to model on any specific one, as much just ensure basics are covered and remain consistent. So I'm happy to mix up details from both the Royal Navy and US Navy, and others as applicable.

PS 2: Just to clarify: I'm writing about starships, though not close military SF. Hence why I can pick details from different naval experiences.

Last edited:
I read one of the John Ringo series a few years ago. Set aboard a converted US navy sub that is now a starship.
It goes a lot into what are the duties for watchkeeping and executive officers etc and then explains what they have had to change due to being in space.
Four books in all but you could miss out the first.
Series called Voyage of the Space Bubble. As is usual with Ringo dark humour and violence go hand in hand

I have to admit, I tend to rely heavily on google for this kind of thing Brian. But, with sf, as you say, mix and match what works as long as you stay consistant.

This is a long way to go, but I spent an afternoon on the USS Midway in San Diego which was amazing. I'm not sure if there's a closer to home version. Actually being on the ship brought the claustrophobia home to me.

May I make a suggestion? Look up the history of Falklands War. The Type 45s are replacements for the Type 42s e.g. HMS Sheffield and HMS Coventry - both of which were sunk during the conflict. Even if the technology has improved for the Type 45 over the Type 42, the command structures should at least in principle be similar. Suspect the story is the same for the attack submarines HMS Conqueror being the submarine that sank the Belgrano.

This is a long way to go, but I spent an afternoon on the USS Midway in San Diego which was amazing. I'm not sure if there's a closer to home version. Actually being on the ship brought the claustrophobia home to me.
I didn't think that was what Brian was looking for, but if it is then we have plenty of similar UK places to visit - HMS Belfast on the Thames, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - with HMS Victory and HMS Warrior (and a submarine that I forget the name of), and Chatham Historic Dockyard. Both Dockyards have interactive walk-through exhibits which give you the feel for the life of a sailor or shipwright. The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich is also well worth a visit, but I doubt Brian has the time or budget to visit any of these.

Brian - I'm sure that the excellent Caird Library in the National Maritime Museum would have books and archives that would give you the information that you require. Much of their collection is available online: Caird Library and Archive

Otherwise, I agree with @Serendipity - there will be books on the Falklands War, and other conflicts, written by former sailors that would give you what you want.

I have never served in the military, so what I write here may be wrong.

First, you should seek out the naval historian. Most navies have one. They are usually happy to answer all your questions.

Second, don't confuse duty stations with rank. Captain is a rank; Commanding Officer (CO) is a duty station. Captain is an honorary title given to the CO regardless of rank. The captain of a ship may be anything from Lieutenant, Junior Grade (LtJG) to Commodore.

Which officers would be present depends on the status of the ship. During battle, everyone would be at their station. When on patrol, the watch is often divided into 3 shifts, with a senior officer at the bridge. The first shift, the daytime shift, is usually overseen by the CO. The second shift, the evening shift, by the Executive Officer (XO). The third shift, the midnight shift, by the Operations Officer (Ops).

The job of the XO is to see to the deployment and training of the crew. The job of the Ops is to see that the ship has the ways and means to meet its mission(s).

And, of course, different navies divide up these authorities differently.

PS: the difference between a ship and a boat: boats are stationed at a base and do limited patrols. Ships are independent and do long-term patrols.

General comment - watched a documentary the other year on body language. The expert was studying different situations, politics, corporate and armed services. The politics and corporate had all sorts of status tags, including two presidents (one US) doing this crazy dance in a doorway as each tried to come out last.
He said he was expecting a really hierarchical organization like the Royal Navy to have mega status tells - and there were none. The captain sat in his chair on the bridge, relaxed, calmly and politely spoke his orders and everyone got on with it.
Now what would happen if you had several gung-ho senior officers in the same room might be different, but I thought the documentary very interesting. Highly trained personnel, all know their part and place in the team and just get on with it.
I also used to know someone who worked with both army and navy personnel (in civvies) and said she could tell which was which from the way they moved and talked. The army types were much more drilled and yes, sir, no sir than the navy types who were more relaxed.
Incidentally - have you read the Hunt for Red October - Tom Clancy - because there is commentary in that on how surprised the Russians were at the more relaxed US navy treatment of their expert personnel.
So a long way round to say - you will also need to extrapolate from the society you are creating, and the level of technical expertise of the ranks to include in the way the bridge personnel behave to each other.

Have you read Through Fire and Water? It's a non-fiction narrative of HMS Ardent, a type 22 which sank during the Falklands War. IIRC, it was hit by more missiles than any other vessel during the conflict including HMS Coventry. It's not the best book on the RN I have ever read, but it is by far the most detailed account of life onboard an active warship I have come across.

I am studying a lot of navy things for my current WIP and here is a link that I have that might be useful for you:

On the Taxonomy of Spaceships

It's a good overview of where a lot of spaceships have taken their inspiration of and might help you. At least it gives you fodder to wiki.

Also, in terms of various officer roles, outside of reading a whole account of it, I have found it much easier to study cruise ship taxonomy instead. From a working ship's perspective, the roles of the officers and the tasks at hand are very similar, as is the hierarchy within the system as well. And the key thing is that most ships have easy face to face access to the Captains that simply isn't that easy to find because navy's are strict about what's available. Almost every major cruise lines will either have a segment about a Captain and their duties (and the duties of the officers underneath) or you can find a blogger who has the information.

It is a difficult subject to study as well because a lot of the times the people giving the information assume you know a lot already (especially in regards to sailing terms) so a lot of it has to be gathered through inference.

I also find bits of information hidden away in odd places. (IE: the soundtrack of Submarine Voyage from Disneyland) and other movies. (I've studied Battleship (Terrible movie, but the script has good stuff) and all the POTC)) Most of those films had consultants they talked to about a lot of those things, so it's a good place to get a good understanding of that stuff. Crimson Tide?

Other than that, I have to hearken back to my memories of being on the Queen Mary, various destroyers and submarines available for viewing in Charleston and other parts of the world. (I think I've seen a ship in Sydney, but I can't remember the details.)

Anyways, hope that helps. It's a pain in the rear to do this stuff.

In the 1980's (1983 - 1986) I served in the US Navy on a Trident submarine. (USS Michigan, SSBN 727. Blue Crew).

I cannot speak for "skimmers" (surface fleet vessels, or as we affectionately referred to them "targets"). But I can tell you who is on the bridge of a Trident submarine on any given watch shift and what they do.

There is the " Diving Officer" which is a duty position not only occupied by officers but sometimes high ranking enlisted men such as a Senior Chief or Master Chief.

But generally the "Dive" was the person in charge in the control room.

There is a Quarter master that plots our course and navigation given general routes which he and the senior command are privy to.

Actual course of the sub is plotted by ruler and marker on a VERY large roll of very slow moving paper. This is also where all nearby sonar contacts (other ships, commercial and military) are tracked and plotted. This is turned in to ComSubRon 9 West Pac upon our return for analysis.

The plotter is a Data Systems Technician. They get direct feed from the Sonar techs in a separate sonar room through a headset.

There is also a Chief of the Watch (referred to as the "COW") whose job is to pump water or compressed air into ballast tanks forward or aft and to monitor trim and system function for water and high pressure air. This person also physically activates alarms if need be, for real situations or for drills.

There is a helmsman/planesman that is responsible for controlling the fair water planes (once called conning tower planes) as well as the rudder. This person is responsible for depth and course changes. They also order up speed changes to maneuvering back in the aft compartment of the sub on what is called an " engine order telegraph".

Beside them sits the Stern planesman. They are responsible for maintaining the "bubble" (up and down angle) of the submarine. The stern planes are three times larger than the fair water planes and respond quicker.

There is also a third party (helmsman/planesman) that can serve as a relief for bathroom breaks, or can run errands, make drink runs for the control room.

Occasionally senior officers such as the "XO" Executive Officer (second only to the Captain) or the Captain might be on the bridge.

Just off from control is the Navigation room where Navigational Electronics Techs and their Officers monitor and maintain the gyros and arrays that tell us where we are and the alignment of the vessel.

Additionally the Radio room where Radio men keep in contact with fleet command and keep us updated of orders, special instructions, etc. is located close to control.

So too is the sonar room where all acoustics are monitored and recorded. Both natural and man-made.

That's the basics of the control room during a patrol. I was a helmsman/planesman and drove the boat, so to speak.

Cheers!

Last edited:
In the 1980's (1983 - 1986) I served in the US Navy on a Trident submarine. (USS Michigan, SSBN 727. Blue Crew).

I cannot speak for "skimmers" (surface fleet vessels, or as we affectionately referred to them "targets"). But I can tell you who is on the bridge of a Trident submarine on any given watch shift and what they do.

There is the " Diving Officer" which is a duty position not only occupied by officers but sometimes high ranking enlisted men such as a Senior Chief or Master Chief.

But generally the "Dive" was the person in charge in the control room.

There is a Quarter master that plots our course and navigation given general routes which he and the senior command are privy to.

Actual course of the sub is plotted by ruler and marker on a VERY large roll of very slow moving paper. This is also where all nearby sonar contacts (other ships, commercial and military) are tracked and plotted. This is turned in to ComSubRon 9 West Pac upon our return for analysis.

The plotter is a Navigational Electronics Technician. They get direct feed from the Sonar techs in a separate sonar room through a headset.

There is also a Chief of the Watch (referred to as the "COW") whose job is to pump water or compressed air into ballast tanks forward or aft and to monitor trim and system function for water and high pressure air. This person also physically activates alarms if need be, for real situations or for drills.

There is a helmsman/planesman that is responsible for controlling the fair water planes (once called conning tower planes) as well as the rudder. This person is responsible for depth and course changes. They also order up speed changes to maneuvering back in the aft compartment of the sub on what is called an " engine order telegraph".

Beside them sits the Stern planesman. They are responsible for maintaining the "bubble" (up and down angle) of the submarine. The stern planes are three times larger than the fair water planes and respond quicker.

There is also a third party (helmsman/planesman) that can serve as a relief for bathroom breaks, or can run errands, make drink runs for the control room.

Occasionally senior officers such as the "XO" Executive Officer (second only to the Captain) or the Captain might be on the bridge.

Just off from control is the Navigation room where Navigational Electronics Techs and their Officers monitor and maintain the gyros and arrays that tell us where we are and the alignment of the vessel.

Additionally the Radio room where Radio men keep in contact with fleet command and keep us updated of orders, special instructions, etc. is located close to control.

So too is the sonar room where all acoustics are monitored and recorded. Both natural and man-made.

That's the basics of the control room during a patrol. I was a helmsman/planesman and drove the boat, so to speak.

Cheers!

That is super useful information! I will file away for use. Thank you!

One correction. The plotting is Data Systems Technician. I first stated Nav ET. (Sorry. I'm a bit tired). Anyway I corrected the post.

Cheers!

Back