American Gods

a2olSLJ.jpg

Promising vengeance for the death of a beloved Old God, Mr. Wednesday begins preparation for a great battle. Meanwhile Laura and Mad Sweeney chase Shadow's diminishing light. Shadow encounters an associate of Mr. World.

After the death of Chernobug's beloved Mother Winter, the man delivered the message, "there are no believers" for the Old Gods. Their lives seems to be as problematic as you'd encounter in the real life. It is strange.

Well, life is strange and as soon as you'll think you know it, it throws back a curve ball.

I like that the Old Gods splits, but I didn't like that AllFather ignored the Dead Wife and left her once again on the Lebrachaun's shoulders. In the world where they are forced to follow the rules, they are supremely weak.

In the other hand I hated that Shadow was tortured for the knowledge he doesn't possess. Why don't they try that same thing Odin and see what that might result, as they able to capture the bodyguard so easily. Why is that they didn't wipe all of them in the caferia?

The thing that is strange, why is that the Old Gods stay in the US, when they would more believers elsewhere, like the Europe for the All-Father. If they can use human vehicles to travel from place to place, why aren't they using all those thing?

xspVSEY.jpg

I love that the cow almost ended the leprachaun's life, while he was arguing with the Dead Wife over mortal sins. Sure she "sucked his best friend knob" but now, she is possessed over the man, she as supposed to love. And she is right, it was her life to do whatever she wanted, but it was not done with best intentions, and I think it is not right for her to try rule over Shadow's life.

What can she do and offer to a man, she is supposed to love? Nothing.

Why is that he gave his luck to dead person, who then goes on to mangle the poor man's toes? It's no good. Mad Sweeney needs his luck back. He doesn't need a blow job from a person he has cared so much. I get that Laura might have not much to offer, but to get her life back, she's willing to betray the love once again.

zb72tzH.jpg

It took me a while to understand the beguiling man, and I really felt bad when he met the worst that America can offer, straight off from landing in the New York, like old time people. Thing is they also proved the old gods can travel and the new ones they grow, can be informed instead of kept in dark. There is no real reason for the AllFather to not tell Shadow what it's all about.

I cried when Lady Liberty died as it felt so closely to what I am going through at the moment. It angers me to think why, and what for, just like it made New Shadow to scowl.

EmYHudJ.jpg

Long live Betty the Barbarian. You served well. We will meet you in your reincarnation!

Loved the fight and absolutely loved Odin getting involved into the rescue of his bodyguard. Fear the Old Gods. Fear their power. All for Valhalla!

Bought season one on DVD. I've watched three episodes so far and I'm utterly bored to tears. So far, it's a classic example of style over substance and full of cinematic cliches. I think this director has a fetish for close-up macro style photography. Why show somebody unlocking a door when you can show cuts of key turning, brass tumblers dropping, door edge moving. All done to a musical score that not only hints of jazzy coolness but actually harks back in a stylistically sonic way to Twin Peaks in places.

I don't think I'll be buying season 2 unless there's a BIG improvement.

For the first season, I definitely found American Gods to be more of a form of art than an actual story, but it grew on me. I think the second season was much, much better than the first. By that point all the pieces were in play and the characters were much more comfortable with where they were going.