What Are Your Thoughts on the Films 2001 and 2010 A Space Odyssey ?

I'm proud to say that 2001 was the first film I saw in the cinema. As a birthday treat my mother took me to see it when it was re-run at a local flea-pit. She hated all fantasy and Sci-fi, so sitting in the dark with me for two and a half hours was heroic of her. Even though I think I loved 2001, I'm sure it went straight passed me at the time. The next film I saw on a big screen was The Aristocats...much more suitable for my age...

I'm proud to say that 2001 was the first film I saw in the cinema. As a birthday treat my mother took me to see it when it was re-run at a local flea-pit. She hated all fantasy and Sci-fi, so sitting in the dark with me for two and a half hours was heroic of her. Even though I think I loved 2001, I'm sure it went straight passed me at the time. The next film I saw on a big screen was The Aristocats...much more suitable for my age...

It must of have looked really great on the Big screen. It was reissued to theaters in the early 1970's I remember seeing it advised at the local theater.

Last edited:
It must of have looked really great on the Big screen. It was reissued to theaters in the early 1970's I remember seeing advised at the local theater.
Oh it did. I have three great cinema memories/feeling. There is seeing 2001 as a young child, the first time I saw Star Wars in the cinema [and the X-wing slips in to the trench] and watching Lawrence of Arabia off a 70mm print [that scene in the Desert make so much more sense when the blob in the middle looks like Omar Sharif!].

Oh it did. I have three great cinema memories/feeling. There is seeing 2001 as a young child, the first time I saw Star Wars in the cinema [and the X-wing slips in to the trench] and watching Lawrence of Arabia off a 70mm print [that scene in the Desert make so much more sense when the blob in the middle looks like Omar Sharif!].

They still had wide screen back in those days and that really made those films seem larger then life . :)

I suppose the impressive thing watching it now is to remember that it was shot before the Moon landing and we still don't have a Moon base.

Last edited:
I suppose the impressive thing watching it now is toe remember that it was shot before the Moon landing and we still don't have a Moon base.

It looked pretty good then, it still looks pretty good now. :cool:(y)

I recall seeing it rereleased in the early 1970's . I never saw it in the theater, I wish I had.

This film was based off of his story The Sentinel which was published in 1951. It differs substantially from the movie . The novel that he did was based off Kubricks movie script, I think :unsure:

There was book called The Lost Worlds of 2001 published in the mid to late 1970's , I had a copy of it at one time. It was a series of stories which were different incarnations of the 2001 story. its long out of print but I found to be a quite a good and interesting read.

There was a beautiful Taschen book about the making of 2001 that I wanted to get, but didn't.

It featured this wonderful Cutaway art by Oliver Rennert which was commissioned for the book. I keep meaning to get one of the prints.

Oliver Rennert Discover One.jpg

I remember 2010 being very enjoyable. It featured a good cast, well acted and the Alexei Leonov being quite a good ship.

2001 was visually impressive with good music selection--the monolith was an interesting visual representation of an alien. I had to watch it a few times to notice certain patterns like the opening with the watering hole is echoed in the space station scene with the Americans and Russians sitting around the table.
One could even suggest the bone is foreshadowing Hal-human relationships with tools.
However, I see the film as comedic in message now-I think the ending with the starchild basically means "here we go again folks!"
There is so little dramatic connective tissue in the film it doesn't have much to analyze beyond the basic plot.

As for 2010--it is more of a bubblegum dramatic movie with a sympathetic Hal, there are some suspenseful ideas like the probe disappearing. But Hyams has a tendency for quirky dialogue-- discussing hot dogs is so eccentric. Lithgow says "It's important."
No it isn't!
They did a great job recreating the ships and sets-as I understand Kubrick had all the blueprints and props destroyed so they had to use photos from the film.

The 1960s film THE BAMBOO SAUCER is similar to the gist of this film--US and Soviet scientists joining forces to confront a spacecraft and learning about each other, ultimately seeing the ship as a means to achieve world peace.

2001, the trip down the gateway and the light show .

2010 Jupiter becoming a second sun.

Back