Favourite Paperback Fonts

Gonk the Insane

I'm getting towards the point of deciding on a font for paperback publication, and while I've done some research into this I'm curious about which fonts others have used for their paperback editions.

I was planning on using Garamond, which seems a popular choice. However, on looking at mocked-up files, italicised text appears (to me at least) difficult to read; the font looks fine normally, but I don't like the look of the italics (which is a problem as I do have some italicised passages:().

I then looked at Book Antiqua, and I thought that looked very clear in both standard and italics. The only downside, as far as I can tell, is that the font doesn't appear to have curled quotation marks (single or double) - it only has the straight quotes, which is a tad irritating (though I'm not sure whether that's a genuine problem or just me being fussy - anyone got any thoughts?).

So, I wondered what others found on their travels, and if there were any that you folks particularly liked?

I hadn't found much on fonts in the forum, though this thread does cover it in passing: Self-publishing: Paperback font, font size, and format

The best font is still Times New Roman. Although Courier isn't bad.

Some book fonts are hard to read - especially among those who have ones made up especially for their books (though I haven't seen this in a while).

I like Caslon (I assume it's the Adobe version) which TGP is set in. If that's not available, I agree TNR is a good option.

As claimed in that thread you initially linked to, sans-serif fonts might be more tiring on readers' eyes.

Caslon, Trajan Pro, Garamond, Georgia, Minion Pro, Palatino Linotype. All fonts I've seen others use. I don't care for TNR or Courier for print books, but others like them. Another good place to discuss this is on the Create Space forum.

I've had problems with Garamond on Create Space. It came out quite different.

Interesting. I haven't heard about any problems before, but then I haven't been keeping up as stringently as I was. But hey, at least you can scratch one potential font off the list! lol

I like the one most publishers were using in the 90's. Don't have the foggiest what it's called.

I really like Calibri over most other fonts.

Times New Roman, seems to be the standard, but it is so flat and meh; I have to admit to warming to Garamond - looks very distinguished yet clear and easy on the eye.

In the final push for my first book, it was highly recommended that a clean serif font be used for science fiction books. That is what I went with in the end.