looking for book where bubble covers most of US, people inside die, Seattle and Texas contest to be

DenverJim

looking for book where bubble covers most of US, people inside die, Seattle and Texas contest to be in charge of the new world. US collapse causes collapse of rest of world's economy and travel.

A bubble of what? Some organic thing, or is it just that the US has been domed over due to atmosphere or something?

Oh, and welcome to Chrons! Danny will be along shortly to tell you what book this is. :D

Dannymcg!

I am fairly certain Danny is right and this is The Peace War by Vinge. I have this on my side although I haven't yet read the book. The blurb sounds exactly like what you mentioned and it made me think of this immediately.

Although I think I have been beaten by the book naming robot ninja.

This is the copy I have:

Peace War.jpg

Hi,

Don't think it's Vinge. His bubble / bobbles were stasis bubbles were nothing changes but nothing dies. It just emerges from stasis a certain time later, exactly as it was. But the invention of the bobbles caused a small war, and made the inventers / controllers of the bobbles the real world rulers - more powerful than governments, and also started a craze called bobbling, where people froze themselves for a period of time so that they could get to the future without ageing / travelling through the present.

It leads on to a sequal book - Marooned in Real Time, which is a post singularity / apocalypse novel, where only people in stasis bubbles survived the end, and then travel on through time, bobbling until the reach a habitable future, and solving a murder mystery on the way.

Cheers, Greg.

Dude ain't been back on here since he posted his question, we'll have to wait and see if he's thought of any more details

Hello Zaltys
I hope that's right cos this one has been irking me!
Well done if it is:)
I am sure that, a few years ago, I read the middle one of the trilogy After America.
When I say read I mean I got a couple of chapters into it but I was confused by character introductions, unexplained plotlines etc.
Then I realised they had committed the ultimate sin and not mentioned anywhere on the cover or in the blurb that this was a book two of a trilogy!
John Birmingham is now on my ever increasing list of 'never buy any of their work again' authors

Hello Danny,

It's not a bad trilogy. I think of it more as a thought experiment though, as I think the author admitted himself, how would the world react, if America was effectively removed from not only the Geopolitical world, but the world entirely. I don't think you can blame the author though for bad publishing decisions. Look what they did to poor Alastair Reynolds Poseidon series, the first two hardbacks where of a type, the next was completely different in every way. I think the publishers did the same thing to Hamilton, parts one and two of the Void in one style, the third completely different. Ruins one's bookshelf it does!.

Check out the wiki on these books, Seattle and Texas, it all looks about right to me.

Yeah. I've had a look at synopsis now for all three books and I MIGHT consider getting 'em at some point. The premise looks fairly interesting so maybe...
Wonder if OP will ever come back and have a look at your answer?:)

Taken 30th May. Three days ago! Was wearing the baseball cap like that for a laugh and getting my three year old grandson to try again on his skateboard.
Flash of memory to you saying this so it was suddenly "Quick, quick! Take a photo of me!"

Sometimes you just gotta do stuff!

Back