Pitman Tales...

Gary Compton

I miss you, wor kid.
I live in the heart of a mining community and the miners were great people, very hard workers that played hard and drank hard!

So I thought it would be great to do a collection of true stories.

I am after funny, heart-breaking, tragic or unusual stories. Any tale that can be told by an ex-miner or their loved ones and is interesting.

I am going to do the full range on this including a limited edition hardback so send your stories into gary.compton@ticketyboopress.co.uk I will edit them into publishable shape so don't worry if they are raw!

I think this will be a great collection. Hoping this will be volume one and maybe I will do other sets of workers like the shipyards or lifeboat men etc.

I should have said this is open to all countries and miners.

This idea is fluid so I may include some fiction stories as well.

Pitman Tales-small.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting idea, Gary! Good luck with this, CC

ps - Nice cover!

It's an interpretation Danny - a 2 foot working area wouldn't make a very good cover LOL

This is where the big digger works ;)

This looks seriously interesting.

And as a recommendation, any nautical collections could be useful reading research for anyone writing about starships. I have a shelf of books on warships and submarines for that, but only a couple of seamen biographies. Always happy to expand that.

Yes thanks Brian. I am fascinated by history and people as well. I might do War Babies as well as my 83 year old Mother is one and has a few tales to tell. :)

But yes shipyards, nautical stuff, army - the list could be massive.