Honeybee stories

Creath Thorne

I'm trying to assemble a list of science fiction or fantasy stories in which honeybees play a role. Can anyone help me identify some? Many thanks!

There's one here in this same Book Search forum where the OP states some scientists follow bee evolution back through time
SF Story: Author & Name?

And if you're doing fantasy then Granny Weatherwax in the Discworld books was the only witch who could 'mind ride' a swarm of bees.

Don't know much about this one
wingscover.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Shadows of the Apt" series has a world where there are giant insects, and the human characters belong to tribes which use those insects as totems. This does include bees, although they get less time in the story than the likes of beetles, wasps or spiders.

Another example would be a subplot in Ben Aaronovitch's "Foxglove Summer" where there is a witch who is a bee-keeper and whose magic is linked to the bees.

In the middle of 1954 Gordy Dickson had a story published in ORBIT SF, entitled "Fellow of the Bees."
I know I read it, and I think I have the magazine around somewhere...but I can't find it, and I can't remember what the story was about...
Sorry.

And if you're doing fantasy then Granny Weatherwax in the Discworld books was the only witch who could 'mind ride' a swarm of bees.
I was trying to remember which book that was most prominent in, and Carpe Jugulum came to mind, but having had a quick flick through I don't think it is. Annoying. :mad: I shall have to re-read them all to find it. :D

Anyhow, that's going to take a while, but in the meantime what I can do is move this over to General Book Discussion which is the place for recommendations/categories of books -- Book Search is really designed for those trying to find a specific book they've read in the past.

I was trying to remember which book that was most prominent in, and Carpe Jugulum came to mind, but having had a quick flick through I don't think it is. Annoying. :mad: I shall have to re-read them all to find it. :D

Anyhow, that's going to take a while, but in the meantime what I can do is move this over to General Book Discussion which is the place for recommendations/categories of books -- Book Search is really designed for those trying to find a specific book they've read in the past.

'Lords and Ladies' was the book I was thinking of but I 'think' she did the same thing when the young witch challenged her in another book.

I aitn't dead!

Hellstrom's Hive by Frank Herbert is a sort of Dr Moreau type shocker, about a society/group based on a hive. (I read it a long time ago, ~35 years. So I can't remember the details. But I know I enjoyed it)

Not a book, but the American version of the film The Wicker Man (the one with Nicholas Cage) has the island of Summers Isle all based round bee keeping.

Back