Sci fi about Chinese Japanese future war with cyber component

Jalaroc

book was about a Chinese secret project that was creating military strategists by raising the children in a virtual environment and using simulations. Japan is resurgent and butts heads with china. China unleashes the project on Japan and this allows the teens a window into the real world. They engineer their escape using us fleet that they manipulate into going into combat area. Some of the names of the kids were cat, cry-baby, possibly snake, and possibly joker. Written by a serving u.s naval officer if I remember. Maybe about 2012? Not sure. Been trying to find the book again.

I've read it but can't remember details!
(Howls in frustration at decrepit memory

Some hard thinking required now - I'll be back

Been thinking 'bout this - were the brainy kids kept in an undersea base/dome?

No. On an island. Possibly in disputed area. They were in a cage that acted as an antenna and had I guess pseudopods that allowed three dimensional movement inside the cave. However, all information on their environment was computer generated. Let's see....Japanese find out where the cyber strikes were coming from and send a commando team. The u.s gets tricked into sending a carrier into the area that's then sunk. Then interesting was that they weren't all exceptional. I remember cry baby as being described as inadequate in regards to fighting in the simulations

Have found a long list of 'Technothrillers' and am happily scrolling down it looking at all the links (three more added to my own Must Get book list)

Have found a long list of 'Technothrillers' and am happily scrolling down it looking at all the links (three more added to my own Must Get book list)

Found lots of interesting sounding stories but none matching your details.

Ongoing!

This is Secret Realms by Tom Cool (1998).

From the back cover: “But as war breaks out in the real world between Japan and China, the puppet masters who control their lives tighten the leash. Their virtual scenarios become maps of reality, and their strategies are acted out by real battle units. But Cat, Trickster, Dreamer, Snake, and the others don't know it. All they have ever known is the endless settings of the virtual world.”