Doctor Who (36) 10.01: The Pilot

I rather enjoyed this. I haven't been a fan of Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, and the programme has slipped from must-see down to I-can-always-watch-it-on-catch-up, but my impression was that this was, well, sparkier than I've seen the Doctor for a while. Loved the "bigger on the inside" moment...

This is me too! I've missed most of Capaldi's run - I did dip in and out which out me off a lot more last season as i didn't get half of what was going on. I much prefer the 'Monster of the week' format. I really enjoyed this episode though and will be watching weekly. I had hoped that the latest series' were on Netflix but they aren't. I may have to catch up elsewhere.

So...
Given the way the "water" (the "leak") behaves, I think that it is the spacecraft.

More than that, I think it may very well be a TARDIS, one without its owner. (To which version of the Master -- we get to see two of them this series -- it belongs is not clear.) After all, it can travel through time and space. It is intelligent (we know, from a previous series, that the Doctor's TARDIS has a personality) and it can camouflage itself.

Note that the camouflaging has always involved the outside changing its shape, not simply changing its appearance; otherwise people would be bumping into bits of the TARDIS that were hidden, or inadvertently stepping through bits of it that weren't actually there. And this new use of the camouflaging has the benefit that it has (apparently) hidden its nature from the Doctor, so that instead of simply materialising in front of him in its final form, it appears as that "puddle" and then gradually changes to the shape of the starry-eyed girl.

As there has been speculation that the tear on Bill's face was some of the fluid, I was wondering if the tear is the Master's TARDIS in yet a new form. (If so, I'm half-expecting the line, "It's smaller on the outside!" to appear later in the series.)

I SO love this theory! I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were the case.

Just giving a spoiler a title but not adding any content will not produce anything on the screen. By contrast, a spoiler will be visible if it has some content whether or not it has a title.

Would I be correct in suspecting that the (two word) title you gave to your spoiler was the intended content?

Just checked and you'd put the spoiler inside the brackets rather than between them - ie, they need to be like this:

[ spoiler ]Spoiler text here[ /spoiler ]

Got it - many thanks :)

There were screams of delight in our household. Billy is just what the Doctor needs, a fresh curious mind that likes chips... oh hang on, that's me!!!!

Really enjoyed it. Loved the sentiment and the sprinklings of laugh out loud moments.

That night, I dreamt I was dating Peter Capaldi. Does anyone know if he's single? :whistle:

Peter Capaldi is married and doesn't like to take his wedding ring off for filming where possible, hence why the Doctor can be seen wearing a ring on that finger, too. Apparently it's a specially made one that covers his actual wedding ring.

However, I too am a big fan of the Capaldi, especially when he starts rocking that guitar... :D

Last edited:
What a great episode! Just marvelous. I am entirely hyped for the season to come. I hope it continues in the same vein.

I still never got to see the end segment, so I'll have to catch it when it plays (hopefully) before the new one this Saturday. When I got to the very last segment on BBC America's website, it refused to do anything but reset to the start after the commercials. Bah. I complained to them, but they haven't said anything.

i had a big problem with the "oil" and its capabilities in this episode. that is, until i read @Ursa major's post. that is a great theory that i hope is true. also @REBerg's post might work too.

so i feel better about the episode now. and bill is great. not sure about the necessity of nardole though.