Word processors / writing software

I use scrivener on iOS. My favorite feature is the dual screen mode. If someone (ok, it's my mom) sends me edits, I can scroll them on the left side while following the original on the right side at the same time. That way, I can add changes, etc. while scrolling through with both thumbs. It is the tool of the gods.

I use scrivener on iOS. My favorite feature is the dual screen mode. If someone (ok, it's my mom) sends me edits, I can scroll them on the left side while following the original on the right side at the same time. That way, I can add changes, etc. while scrolling through with both thumbs. It is the tool of the gods.

Whaaaat? On the iPad version? I must look up how to do that. I just recently figured out (and blogged) how to get the iPad to read my Scriv chapters back to me. I suspect there is a whole mountain of features I don't even know exist.

Take any document and put it in the research folder. Select what you want to show on the right, then find the document you put in the research folder. Find the "more" menu by swiping left and select "Quick Reference." Then you have them both rolling at the same time and can edit either one.

Oh, and you can expand the left side of the screen so it's bigger by selecting "Expand" in the little gear icon.

I am not a writer but I usually use Google docs or AbiWord (on Linux).
At work I am forced to go with Word whatever latest version Microsoft has released. Not a bad software at all but highly expensive.
I am not a big fan of Open Office myself, too heavy ram demanding and ties with Java that can make it annoying.

THANKS FOR THIS THREAD!

I am a new (6 wks) aspiring writer and I LOVE these little tips!

BTW, I use Google Docs. I just started FocusWriter for my writing sessions and I copy/paste into Docs. Now I'll try Scriv!

I write a lot of academic stuff on word. The thing that has made a big difference to my life is Zotero , a free reference manager which fits into Word and allows for cite-while-you-write. More to the point, it peovides a very intuitive means of cataloguing and saving every webpage, article etc for future refeence. A similar alternative is Menderley.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

I downloaded the Scrivener trial version and went through the tutorial. The tut basically answered all my questions so far. I imported my work into it and have had a play. There's a lot to deal with but I can see how it will help my completely disorganised way of working and give me the focus I need.

Does anyone write more than one book in Scriv, ie a series?

Yes. You could, I suppose, write the whole series in a single project (though it might struggle to cope once your word count gets really high), but I tend to write one book per project. If you set up a template how you like it then it's pretty straightforward to get started with each one. It's also easy to import documents from one project to another so, if you have a character list for book 1, you could import that list to book 2 then add any new people to it, and so on for book 3, etc. Plus, any character and place names etc will already be in your custom dictionary ("personal word list" in Scrivener lingo) so you won't have to add them again.

I stick with Word, mostly because I do most of my writing on an old Netbook that I already have loaded with the full Office suite, and also because I loathe working on iDevices in general. No hate to those who do, but I just have never been a fan. I will say that everything I've heard about Scrivener seems good. I wish there was an Android/PC version, because I'd give it a try so fast :LOL:

I will say that everything I've heard about Scrivener seems good. I wish there was an Android/PC version, because I'd give it a try so fast :LOL:

There is a PC version, and from looking at the forum I got a feeling that Android could possibly be supported in the future. There is even a Linux version, although it is unsupported/unofficial.

This is weird of me, but I also like Scrivener because it is a separate place to keep all my writing projects separate from my work stuff.

Also, in defense of iDevices, my iPad is so much easier to carry around. I would absolutely hate being tied down to sitting in one chair to write. And laptops seem super clunky to me. Anymore, I find myself poking the screen of my macbook at work, I'm so used to the iPad.

I just use Word for writing, OneDrive for saving and Brain for note-taking. Nothing special or complex (certainly not Brain)

I was going to transfer to Scrivener but then discovered the Compile function on Windows doesn't have:
  • the ability to keep centred text centred rather than having it move to the left margin in the compiled version
  • the ability to have the first paragraph of a chapter or scene flush against the left margin (blocked) rather than having it indent itself in the compiled version
I mean that these are not preserved on compilation. In the Mac version, there are tick boxes to keep both these during compilation.

That's insane! What an odd exclusion for them to have made.

I wonder if these kind of things get addressed in the Win platform as zealously as in the Mac. And I wonder what it is about the operating environment of Win that made this justification and indent thing difficult to correct.

pH

I agree. I did a course about Scrivener to get my head round it and the tutor could only suggest using the 'as is' option for any sections with centred text or blocking (the whole book basically). I think that then prevents the sections being picked up by the automatic table of content creation. Anyway, I haven't given up the idea of using Scrivener as I do have a future project that has a lot of different timezones involved and it will help to be able to move sections around easily, but I came up with a different method of producing an ebook (and will need to do the print book by a different method) whereas I originally hoped to produce them as two different content streams out of Scrivener.

I do. I have a project for my UF novels, which will likely be five books (though I'm hoping for only three), and I'm currently doing the sequel to my zompoc in the same project. It makes it really easy to keep up with characters, notes, research, etc. to have it all in one place. I also had a single project for all my short stories, but it's getting a bit unwieldy and confusing, since two of my pen names write vastly different stuff (and never the twain shall meet). I've broken one name out and given it one project, and the other has taken over the first one. I do novels in their own projects,

I mean that these are not preserved on compilation. In the Mac version, there are tick boxes to keep both these during compilation.

Um, in the PC version, tick the "compile as is" box on each folder/file, and that should do it. That's what I do, and it seems to work fine. Mac is definitely better for formatting, but I've pretty much given up on getting the PC version synced. They promised for years it would happen, but I think there are other priorities. :(

I started out in Word (2007), got yWriter (which I loved, but Scrivener compiles!), and now do the Scriv thang. I love it. I love being able to organize stuff, keep my character list in a little window so I can refer to it, or have notes there. Whatever I need, I can pretty much do. No more files and files and files in Word, which have to be corralled and opened all the time!

Also, in defense of iDevices, my iPad is so much easier to carry around.

Quite often I write on my phone (I have one of the big beasties) and it's just a dream. When I'm on the Tube or in bed and can't be arsed to get my Mac, I can just jot down my scene ideas and they're not lost forever in my forgetful brain. Hopefully they can get an Android sync too, but I suspect that the iCloud factor is why the Mac sync is so much easier.