Leonora Carrington

Discussion in 'SFF News' started by Hugh, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Hugh

Hugh Well-Known Member

I don't know if there are any Leonora Carrington enthusiasts here. I came across "The Hearing Trumpet" a few years ago and was just amazed. I also couldn't believe that I had never heard of it (what passes for my cultural awareness is sadly anglo-centric, but Leonora was very English despite living in Mexico), and that it may have been written as long ago as 1950.

Sam Leith on Leonora Carrington

Now I see she has a selection of short stories coming out: "The Debutante and Other Stories".

From high society to surrealism: in praise of Leonora Carrington – 100 years on

I found "The Hearing Trumpet" remarkable, hilarious, ahead of its time, but, as ever, that may not mean it's everyone's taste.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Stephen Palmer likes this.
  2. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner He's a very naughty boy! Staff Member

I read The White Horse and Other Stories years ago. I think they were more a curiosity for their surrealism then. However, little compares to the surrealism of her real life!

Hugh likes this.
  3. anivid

anivid Planetary Guest

Randy M., Hugh and Stephen Palmer like this.
  4. Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer author of novels

Very much a fan of her gorgeous paintings.

Hugh likes this.
  5. Hugh

Hugh Well-Known Member

I've yet to read any of her short stories, but will definitely do so before long. (I prefer not to buy books until I know I have the space to read them, otherwise the unread tend to pile up). They may disappoint me, but I enjoyed The Hearing Trumpet so much that I expect that will carry me through any let down. Part of my reason for enjoying The Hearing Trumpet was the unusual heroine, a ninety year old who struggles with her teeth, and the spoofs on spiritualism and the Gurdjieff work.

6. Hugh

Hugh Well-Known Member

7. Hugh

Hugh Well-Known Member

There was an exhibition at the Liverpool Tate a few years ago and I would have very much like to have visited, but was working at that time and the journey/time involved made this a nonstarter. Hopefully the attention she is getting will mean a further exhibition somewhere.

8. HareBrain

HareBrain Bunny of Wonder Staff Member

Never read her fiction, but have loved her paintings since seeing an exhibition in Chichester a few years ago (in fact I think I started a thread on it). My favourite was called something like "Are You Really Sirius?"

Coincidentally, I'm in Mexico right now. Before setting off I was introduced to a friend of a friend who recommended some ruins to visit, and who'd known Leonora Carrington in Mexico City. An amazing character, from her account.

Hugh likes this.
  9. Hugh

Hugh Well-Known Member

Sadly, the Chichester exhibition was before I had heard of her, as I could have managed to get there.

And bizarrely I do get some slight pleasure from knowing that I have had internet contact with someone who has met someone who knew Leonora. I hope you enjoy Mexico.

HareBrain likes this.