Marketing a self-published novel?

Is anyone here familiar with the AMS (Amazon Marketing Services)? It's offered when you self-publish on Amazon. Basically, you run a campaign that offers up ads for your book, and anytime somebody clicks through to your sales page, you get charged. Apparently it works for some authors.

What I'm trying to get clarification on is this: it seems one can run campaigns on amazon.com, but not on amazon.co.uk. Is this correct, and if you can, how? What's the link?

Marketing. The dirty word. Basically, I havn't got a clue and we've been stumbling around learning what we can, trying anything that we can do without financial outlay (except for a bookbarbarian promotion which worked great).
But, here's the question - if you had a budget of say £1000 or so, what could you do to get a novel in front of a lot of readers? Would a profesional marketing person be within that scope? Where would you find one? What else can you do?
I have zero skills or knowledge in this area. Without being egotistical, I think this is the single largest obstacle we have; getting the book in front of potential readers. The book is so well liked by 99% of readers, it is a bit depressing being unable to simply get it if front of a really large number of people.

Anyone have knowledge on how to really market an indie book, at reasonable cost? We will try bookbub but we all know how hard it is to get a gig with them.

Remember this: advertising is short term, marketing is long term.

I'm speaking from the place of being a minor but successful romance author, and it's important to understand that advertising a book may get you a few sales but if you are in this game to make money, you need to understand how that advertising fits into your marketing. Yes, it's about branding, and i know some authors hate that idea but it's a valid, necessary marketing tool. You are not advertising a book, you are advertising an ~experience~ and branding helps people understand what that experience is going to be. I could go into great detail on that but let's keep it simple:

As others have stated, writing more books to build a fanbase is key. So is an email list.

Make those two points work for you. Don't just include a link to sign up for your email list at the end of the book, offer a free epilogue or character backstory short story for the sign up (I like bookfunnel for this, it's worth the small change subscription) because that will really get them to click the link. Likewise, use a prologue short story (with "buy" links to the full book right after "the end!") and give it away via an Instafreebie campaign, which gets you both email sign ups and (if people like the prologue) buyers of the book. Or, go permafree with that prologue and go "wide" with it, to steer people to your book. Either way, you're pulling people to the book, with almost no money out of pocket to do it.

Facebook ads are not too expensive but I've heard from other authors that their buy-through rate has been dropping lately. AMS ads do work, if you have either a great niche to mine or a fantastic cover/blurb. The key with AMS is keywords, even moreso than the keywords you use for the book itself, and they are a good way to spread the word about a "first" book when there is little else to market. I honestly have not used any promotion services/sites, so I can't speak to that for SFF books.

Throw a few bucks to advertising this book, but think carefully about how you are establishing your marketing -- are you pulling people into your email list? are you creating a recognizable brand? how are you "teasing" readers to keep up with your releases? etc.

Good luck!

Thanks @KC York
We have a decent webpage, struggling to build a mailing list (which I've heard is hard for indies) but do have a permanet free novelette that is doing well. I'm thinking that doing a short story that's free on sign up though.

Thanks @KC York
We have a decent webpage, struggling to build a mailing list (which I've heard is hard for indies) but do have a permanet free novelette that is doing well. I'm thinking that doing a short story that's free on sign up though.

My experience with having novels where I just ask people to sign up for my newsletter vs. offering a free story for them to sign up is that the latter is WAY SUPER GOSH DARN more successful. :D Good luck!!!

Is anyone here familiar with the AMS (Amazon Marketing Services)? It's offered when you self-publish on Amazon. Basically, you run a campaign that offers up ads for your book, and anytime somebody clicks through to your sales page, you get charged. Apparently it works for some authors.

What I'm trying to get clarification on is this: it seems one can run campaigns on amazon.com, but not on amazon.co.uk. Is this correct, and if you can, how? What's the link?

Hi Geoff,

Yes, I have used AMS.

I ma 50:50 as to whether it is useful marketing spend.

There is NO AMS for co.uk is is only a .com service.

AMS is working well for me. The only other promo I find to be consistently beneficial is building my e-mail list and swapping newsletters with author authors in my genre.

The other key with AMS is to target keywords Amazon agrees that your book should be displayed alongside.

This is where all your other advertising and marketing comes into play. Let's say you've written and published a 300-page Space Opera, but early on you threw it at whatever advertising options would take it and now your also-boughts are full of crock-pot recipe books and colouring books. Now, AMS is far less likely to display your ad beneath other SF titles, because customer purchase behaviour suggests that SF readers won't want it; only crock-pot and colouring book customers want it.

No amount of increasing budget or CPC rate on an AMS campaign will make Amazon show your book to customers they think won't buy it.

My books were set locally and yet (hopefully) appeal to a more geographically diverse market was well. I hoped this would at least encourage local sales and prime the pump. I've done poorly online but have sold about a thousand books locally in two years. Of course, this means purchasing books with dear cash and then selling at twice the cost or more. I've had most of my sales success at gun shows, comic book shops (on Wednesday and Saturday), First Friday type booths, and speaking engagements. I tend to avoid book stores, Ren. fairs, book fairs, author thingies, and consignment agreements. I did well at a restaurant on Christmas Eve last year with nineteen books sold between 11 a.m. and 2 p. m. to last minute shoppers. Bottom line — you need tons of foot traffic. The owner refused any monetary compensation; he felt my presence was a value added service for his customers. I've not asked to return so as not to wear out my welcome. Maybe, next Christmas. Set up an LLC and have The Square (or the like).

Sorry for the forum necromancy but is Goodreads advertising service any good? I,ve got my first book out and a tax rebate burning a hole in my account...
(Read the above with interest by the way. Amazon sounds good)

Sorry for the forum necromancy but is Goodreads advertising service any good? I,ve got my first book out and a tax rebate burning a hole in my account...
(Read the above with interest by the way. Amazon sounds good)
Having tried it, I would say not. Didn't make any noticeable difference to sales for me.

My feeling is that it's not worth doing any kind of paid marketing for your books until you have at least 3.

The reason being that doing paid marketing for a single book would require an astonishing degree of efficiency to make any kind of return. In other words, marketing a single book as much more likely to result in a loss - ie, you pay more out than you get back, and so effectively paying people to read your book.

Once you get a few books under your belt, you have the benefit of upsell - ie, those readers who like one of your books going on to buy one or more further books, especially if part of a series. The more books, the better the chances of this. This could be all the difference between a marketing campaign that loses money and one that actually pays.

Just my personal feelings at this stage, hence why I'm doing no paid marketing at this stage and won't for a few years yet. As people in the industry keep saying, publishing is a marathon not a sprint. :)

Lots of great advice above.

Being an author is running your own small business. Grind it out long term. Tips:
  • Have multiple books for sale. When a reader likes an author, they buy everything.
  • Focus on building a brand and an experience (as noted above). Some people use pseudonyms for different genres or erotic lit. You can also create different "lines" under your own name.
  • Have multiple free stories around the web to draw readers to you, like on Wattpad, Royal Road, Literotica.
  • Make your brand visible in forum posts and email footers.
  • Get a real website for yourself. You can make something pro-looking with Wordpress for free. But get a domain and host it for $5/month.
  • Include a free story to get them to sign up for emails and push fans to that signup everywhere.
  • Push people to a Patreon page or any crowdfunding you do.
  • Collaborate with other authors.
  • Get EDITED. Nothing makes someone a fan more than quality. Nothing makes then talk about it more. And nothing gets noticed by publishers more. Save your money, even if it means no beer, no holidays and no advertising, and get quality editing done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just on websites, avoid the paid for version of Weebly. You'll get many charming phone calls offering 'web services' and a lot of spam, unless you tick the box to avoid that nonsense (with a small fee, of course).

I'm just starting out - I'll put my first book out on July 1st and it's sitting there on pre-order now.

I've followed some but not all of the tips above so this is a good thread for me to think about. I did invest in a paid, hosted website and that's been up for around a month now. I already have three subscribers. Woot.

As far as having multiple books out there - yes, that should be a reality for me seven or eight years from now.

I don't even know whether I'm made of the right stuff to ever look at this as a business venture. But since I've decided to put this one out, I'm giving it my all and have basically been a publicist for the last month or two. Whether this is an experience I'll look to repeat remains to be seen.

If I did self-pub a second book as opposed to pursuing trad publication , I would definitely look into patreon and other forms of crowdfunding, as the first thing you learn on this curve is the limits of your budget.