Giant Aliens Planet. People scavenge like mice

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
I'm currently re reading William Tenn's book "Of Men and Monsters" which is about people living behind skirting boards etc in giant alien dwellings after the giant aliens conquered Earth.

It's got me thinking about a book I can't recall author / title......
Humans live behind skirting boards etc in giant alien dwellings on another planet.
They live in a military organisation with uniforms etc and have annual balls and such like events.
One episode I remember is there were squeals from the women 'cos a "rat" ran onto the dancefloor. It proved to be a silverfish type insect as the people were so small in proportion to it
I THINK it was a colony expedition that had gone off course

Anyone?

Last edited:
I’d guess this is Men Like Rats by Rob Chilson (1989). Giant warehouses, giants aliens, people reduced to being rats along the walls. Bugs too.

I’d guess this is Men Like Rats by Rob Chilson (1989). Giant warehouses, giants aliens, people reduced to being rats along the walls. Bugs too.
Sorry, not the one I'm looking for.
In my mystery tale they're attempting to establish a colony on another planet and even the insects are massive.
Whereas Men like rats is set on Earth following an alien invasion

The initial thought that popped into my head was The Men in the Walls - but that turns out to be the short story from which "Of Men and Monsters" was expanded.

Stefan Wul's - Oms en série has humans living on an alien planet with giant inhabitants - but I'm pretty sure it's not the book you are looking for.