April 2017: What Are You Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bick, I'll probably finish Dombey and Son in the next couple of days. I've kept thinking, as I read it, that it's very good but that it should not be anyone's first Dickens novel...
No, I think that's a fair statement. Already having enjoyed Dickens I was fine with the somber characters and greater realism, but I did enjoy brief appearances by Toots and Co. who were more characteristically 'Dickensian'. I wonder if he made a conscious effort to write a more mature novel at this stage, but only later in his life did he manage to write in a mature way whilst also retaining the stylistic traits and eccentricities that the world loved.

Some of the ironic-satirical passages in Our Mutual Friend are heavy-handed, as if Dickens's anger got the better of him a bit, but this should be a big issue.

I just started Perdido Street Station by China Mieville and got to the end of chapter one and am so far very much enjoying it. This being my first work of Mieville's I didn't know what to expect, nevertheless the prologue was gripping (in its detailed descriptions of New Crobozun) and chapter one kept my interest. Really looking forward to see how this author resonates with me.

Recently started The Trees by Ali Shaw - a great concept and I'm really gripped so far.

Read fourth in the Witch World series by Andre Norton, Warlock of the Witch World.

Life has been very busy the last few months so had very little time for reading, but getting back into it again.

I'm reading THE GODDESS PROJECT by Bryan Wigmore.

And just to add: this is the only book that has had me holding my breath whilst reading. Anyone who has read it will understand why! I was fortunate to be able to beta read this book. I am really enjoying reading it again in its final form.

Last edited:
Many thanks to @AlexH for recommending Silverberg's "Science Fiction:101" a while back in another thread. I've just finished it and really enjoyed reading Silverberg's thoughts on the writers he admires and how to write science fiction.

Many thanks to @AlexH for recommending Silverberg's "Science Fiction:101" a while back in another thread. I've just finished it and really enjoyed reading Silverberg's thoughts on the writers he admires and how to write science fiction.
I bought one of the books you recommended too, but I haven't got around to reading it yet (it was the series of interviews with SF authors).

I bought one of the books you recommended too, but I haven't got around to reading it yet (it was the series of interviews with SF authors).

It's always a challenge to keep the pile-of-books-waiting-to-be-read from growing and growing and growing.

Too late! April is over! Put your books down.

Just when I was getting used to getting the month right!

Now I'll have to remember all over again. This could take weeks.

Last edited:
Finished on 30th April - Wycliffe and the Guilt-Edge Alibi by W J Burley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back