April 2017: What Are You Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read It when it was published and wrote a negative review for a college paper. If you want my opinion -- I don't think it's worth your time to stick with it.

IT was the first of his that I felt he had got so 'untouchable' with the publishers that they didn't want to edit him. Very overwritten. Till then I'd read all of them in order but after that have just dipped in and out occasionally and not found anything that brilliant.

I've finished the next run of 25 comics (I can see the backlog is really shrinking now), and the random numbers have chosen Dragon Haven by Robin Hobb as my next book. (Yup, not only am I trying to catch up on the impossible book pile, but I'm that far behind on Hobbs books)

DragonHaven-UK.jpg
I'm even more behind with Hobb ... only finished that second Farseer trilogy a while back (did read the Ship one in between) and next have the Soldier Son trilogy before embarking on Rain Wild.

Read Ariel by Steven Boyett, a re-read of a former favourite and yet another which many years later I've found disappointing.

Read Resurrection Row, a crime story by Anne Perry set in Victorian London. Good evocation of the period but the plot totally derailed into unbelivability.

I'm even more behind with Hobb ... only finished that second Farseer trilogy a while back (did read the Ship one in between) and next have the Soldier Son trilogy before embarking on Rain Wild.

Ahh, then I'll watch you slowly catch up and pass me as time goes on! :D

Finished Star Born last night, which was fun (apologies for my unhelpful "reviews", my head is fairly fuzzy because of the anti-depressants so it's hard to write clear and properly thought through responses right now, I shall endeavour to be a little more reflective once things are better ;) ) - after a little thought I've left Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix Plus on the bedside table to start tonight.

I am reading an awesome beta book right now. Should finish this week. Also reading Vendetta by Gail Z Martin, an urban fantasy set in Charleston, NC where the MC runs an antique store where a lot of haunted items end up. It's a pretty fun read for fans of supernatural stuff.

I plan on finishing Duel in the Dark by Jay Allan, and The Last War by Peter Bostrom (aka Nick Webb) on a plane this weekend.

Reactions: Vaz
I've been lax in keeping this up. So far in April I've read/am reading Perilous Waif by E. William Brown, I'm enjoying his ingenious tech. Beneath the Skin by our own Carolyn Hill, the best S.F. Romance I've ever read. The Oncoming Storm, Falcone Strike, and Cursed Command by Christopher Nuttall. Very good military and political S.F.

Light at the End by John Skipp and Craig Spector. 80's splatterpunk vampire novel. Very enjoyable and nowhere near as gory as I was expecting for the founding novel of the splatter punk movement.

I'm reading The Taming of The Shrew. Quite enjoying it so far, although having characters called Gremio and Grumio is about as sensible as Constantine's sons' names (Constantine, Constans and Constantius).

About to dive into Wheel of Time. Heard good and bad things about this series, more good than bad, though. I'm excited to begin tonight.

Finished Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis. Not sure it deserves its reputation, though it has some funny lines. Something about the voice reminded me quite strongly of our own @Toby Frost.

By way of something different (except that it was bought as part of the same 3-for-2 offer in an airport bookshop), have started Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr. Blimey, it must have seemed a complete bombshell when it came out in 1966.

I've now finished Dragon Haven by Robin Hobb. Review here

As is the norm at the moment will be taking a book break and will have another crack at reducing the backlog of comics by 25!

About to dive into Wheel of Time. Heard good and bad things about this series, more good than bad, though. I'm excited to begin tonight.

The characterisation is rather lacking, though the main collection of characters are bearable enough, but the magic system is one of the most interesting in fantasy and there are some seriously epic moments throughout the series. They are enjoyable reads for most of it, especially as all the books are out now so you can power through the books that are considered the slower ones.

Myself, I am slowly reading Lord of the Rings at the moment. I've read it before, and I adore the films, but I feel like I'm appreciating the characters a great deal more this time through for some reason. I'm not even out of the Shire yet. But I love that Merry, Pippin and Sam had all sussed out Frodo ages ago and knew exactly what he's up to.

I finished "Hollow City", book two of the trilogy starting with "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children". The book series is quite different from the movie, but the movie attempted to cram all 3 books into one film. It did tell a great story, just a different one from the books. I am looking forward to starting the third in the trilogy, "Library of Souls".

Last night I began an anthology-Penguin Science Fiction, a little paperback from the 60s edited by Brian Aldiss. Read 2 so far, very strange and not really my thing but there's hope in later paged. I believe there were 2 follow ups

I'm reading Midnight Never Come, by Marie Brennan. Intrigue and politics at the court of Elizabeth I and a fairy court beneath London. Rather sedate for some tastes, I would suspect, but I'm enjoying it.

I'm reading The Taming of The Shrew. Quite enjoying it so far, although having characters called Gremio and Grumio is about as sensible as Constantine's sons' names (Constantine, Constans and Constantius).
It could be worse...if you were one of the number of sons of the former boxer George Foreman, all of whom were named "George Foreman" (as was one of their sisters...),

.... some people should be banned from naming things.

Finished The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch, that was soooo back to form after the previous side track of book 5. I just love the humour in it, and this one really builds to a massive showdown at the end, brought all the players together. Going to try Black Book next by Dylan Jones, sounded like something I would like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back