(Found) Bees, chemical messages, psychological, behavioral control

robbo99

I remember reading this story/book a number of years ago. It involved chemical messaging towers and transmission of information via bees, I think..... If someone recalls this book or author, possibly from the 80's I would like to read it again. I was reminded of it recently by an episode of Black Mirror, series 3 episode 6 "hated by the nation" where artificial bees are reprogramed to attack certain people
Thanks
Robbo99

Hi Greg

Haha, yes the information I provided is a bit thin. The story, as far as I can recall involved the development of 'organic signalling towers' which loosely looked like ornate flowers. The chemical messages flowed from these flower structures and little by little the human population succumbed and ended up feeling drugged except for a few not as susceptible individuals who were investigating the phenomena/problem. I hope that helps a bit. As for names, characters, it was (I think) back in the 80's when I read it so I haven't got any more details, sorry :(

Ha! Me too, but just starting to think maybe I didn't read it, maybe I dreamt it? Could be time to try and reconstruct my reading list and list of authors from the 80s ........

Hey Galactic Bus Driver! I think that might be it, thank you :LOL: Now to track down the book and series :)

Cool. I hope it's the one you're looking for and if it is, glad I could help. It's funny, just the other day I was looking through a thread on a Denver Broncos board that I created 13+ years ago looking for the title of one I'm trying to find and saw a post of mine that mentioned her and my first thought was "Huh, she's the one with the bees."

Hi again Galactic Bus Driver
You were right, I obtained a copy of Kathleen Ann Goonan's first book of the Nanotech Quartet series "Queen City Jazz" and I'm re-reading it now :)